Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SBowman Posts: 71, Reputation: 6

Jan 28, 2008, 09:36 AM
    Too much condensation!
    My house every winter has been gathering condensation a lot on the windows during winter. We've tried changing the temperatures in the house, and there's still condensation. Any help guys?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Have you tried running a dehumidifier at all? Try it in the rooms that are the wettest and see if that makes a difference. Also I noticed that my windows are not full of condensation when the weather outside has lower humidity. Also, do you have storm windows or double pained windows? That could play a big part also.

You should investigate any outside air leaking into your home via small cracks around the windows that need recaulked, around the doors, around the foundation. Condensation happens when outside humid air reaches the inside of a home via air holes (no matter how small). Also, look under the sinks in the bathroom and kitchen and seal up the holes where the water lines come into the house portion in the cabinets. This is another air leak even if it is into the basement.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 02:27 PM
    I'm wrestling with that problem myself. It's primarily air leaks around the window frames. One room has remarkably improved and there are no drafts.

A bathrroom, was caulked and continues to have condensation. This has been traced to a bad weatherstrip at the bottom of the window. It has yet to be repaired. Another source of air intake that needs to be eliminated is that there is no check valve on the shower exhaust and the toilet supply penetration. You can feel the air easily on a windy day.

The windows are double-pane.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Condensdation means outside air leaking in,more caulk and maybe shrinkable plastic storm windows. Use an exhaust fan in the bathroom when showering and a hood fan when cooking. When remodeling I remove the trim on all exterior doors and windows and insulate with expanding foan made for window installations, don't use plain expanding foam.
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Jan 31, 2008, 11:10 AM
    I've also heard the reasoning is there making houses so tight these days and they don't breath properly. Sometimes I've heard you can run your furnace fan 24\7 and that will cut down on the condensation on the windows, or a lot of peope are getting air exchangers installed in there houses. A lot of newer homes an air exchanger is a given when they build them.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 1, 2008, 10:39 AM
    I agree about the furnace but for more than just this reason. I turn my fan from auto to ON the day I move into a home and it stays that way until I sell. The house is much more evenly heated and cooled, the starter windings in the fan never burn out and the extra electricity running 24/7 is minor compared to the juice it takes to start a fan every half hour.
    daisy27 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Feb 5, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowman
    My house every winter has been gathering condensation alot on the windows during winter. We've tried changing the temperatures in the house, and there's still condensation. Any help guys?
    Yes I have seen this happen a lot. It is like a greenhouse afect. Without seeing anything I would say tthat your house is not VENTED the rite way,
    Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC duct condensation [ 3 Answers ]

Air conditioning ducts to 2nd floor run between ceiling joist of 1st floor. Have developed water stains on ceiling.These stains are the result of Condensation forming on the ducts and leaking through the ceiling dry Wall. What needs to be done to stop this from happening....

Trane R-13 condensation [ 3 Answers ]

We just had a Trane R-13 outside unit installed two weeks Ago. While it is running water drips out of the bottom corner of the unit. The installer says this is condensation, and it will do that when it is New, but it is still doing it a few weeks later. We have never had any Water come...

Condensation in my A/C Unit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone Hope someone can help me before I have to shell out big money for repairs. I noticed a couple of days ago that water was dripping by the corner of the garage. I trailed to the A/C unit. I was told that probably was condensation in the unit. Do you know if I can do that myself or if...

Condensation pump [ 3 Answers ]

I need to install a pump for condensation for my central air unit/furnace, because there is not a drain for it to dump into. The pump would have to be strong enough to pump the water overhead and across 15 feet to dump into a sink. The condensation tube is about 3-4 feet high coming out of the...

Condensation [ 1 Answers ]

Why there is a lot of condensation on my duct in my basement is due to low air flow or too much air flow? What can I do to solve this problem?

View more questions Search