Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luvdogs74 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 08:52 AM
    How do I get temporary custody or emergency custudy
    My husband and I are split up and we are filing for divorce, I currently staying with my mother till I get financially stable again.He took the car and everything.So I'm starting over.We have a 4 yr old daughter together and he took her over the weekend,He called Friday night and then he never called the rest of the weekend and wouldn't answer his phone so I could check on her,He has a new girlfriend and he stayed there and made our daughter sleep on a pallet in the floor and she came back home throwing up and very sick.Come to find out that he wasn't even going to bring her back until he felt necessary.She lives with all the time.What can I do so that he won't be able to take her next time,I ended calling the police and they had eventually found him and spoke with him Because I didn't know where he went with our daughter.We are filing for divorce as soon as my income tax money comes but is there anything I can do until then to stop him from taking her.

Angie
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2008, 09:13 AM
    You NEED to talk to an attorney NOW. Shop around, you should find one that will wait to get paid.

But you need to petition for custody and visitation NOW, before he disappears with your daughter.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 10:52 AM
    [QUOTE=luvdogs74]My husband and I are split up and we are filing for divorce, I currently staying with my mother till I get financially stable again.He took the car and everything.So I'm starting over.We have a 4 yr old daughter together and he took her over the weekend,He called Friday night and then he never called the rest of the weekend and wouldn't answer his phone so I could check on her,He has a new girlfriend and he stayed there and made our daughter sleep on a pallet in the floor and she came back home throwing up and very sick.Come to find out that he wasn't even going to bring her back until he felt necessary.She lives with all the time.What can I do so that he won't be able to take her next time,I ended calling the police and they had eventually found him and spoke with him Because I didn't know where he went with our daughter.We are filing for divorce as soon as my income tax money comes but is there anything I can do until then to stop him from taking her.

Go to Family Court in your area right now - explain the situation with an Attorney, explain the situation when your husband had your daughter, tell them everything and see what they can recommend. And do it now! This is an emergency situation and they "should" act quickly.

I'm sure you realize he is not entitled to take everything and make up his own visitation rules. Let the Courts decide.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Keep in mind when you file your complaint against him not to go too far overboard with it as that can work against you. Try to remember your both stressing and its best to serve your daughter as needed then to start lying to get even or to try to sway the courts in your favor.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Well first there is nothing you can do to stop him from visiting or even having joint custody of the child, as long as he is not a threat to her.

You can file for temp custody and your ex can counter of course and file for joint custody. Rememeber he has as much legal right to just keep the child as you do, and as much legal right to file for temp custody as you do also.

And to be honest there is nothing the police can do, even with court orders in place, the police will still just say it is a civil matter
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 29, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Well first there is nothing you can do to stop him from visiting or even having joint custody of the child, as long as he is not a threat to her.

You can file for temp custody and your ex can counter of course and file for joint custody. Rememeber he has as much legal right to just keep the child as you do, and as much legal right to file for temp custody as you do also.

And to be honest there is nothing the police can do, even with court orders in place, the police will still just say it is a civil matter
    I guess that depends on where you live. In California if your papers show its your time with the child they will take the child from the other parent. I had seen it happen before when a mom refused to give up a child for visitation but that's so traumatic to go through I hope for no one that it ever goes that far.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Temporary custody vs final custody [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am the father of 2 16 month old twin girls, we went to court and I have temp custody. Mother is charged with domestic abuse. My question is.. if I have had temp custody for over a half a year and the kids are doing great, would it be hard for me to keep being custodial parent in joint custody...

Emergency temporary custody [ 1 Answers ]

How to long does it take to get emergency temporary custody in Florida

Getting temporary custody? [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: I am 18 years old I have a one and a half year old daughter and I married her father. Her father and I are separated no paperwork or temporary custody has been filed. The father has kept her away from me for a month now.. and he is just now letting me vist her and it is only...

Temporary Custody? [ 5 Answers ]

I am 21 years old, married and the aunt of 5 children. Before I start, I am very mature for my age and I always have been. My sister of 5 children (only 2 from the same father) has always had drug problems off and on during her life- she has been going through a MAJOR patch the last 2 years. The 2...

Temporary custody [ 1 Answers ]

Mother has custody of my 2 sons through final orders .she wants to send one of them to me.can a document be drawn up to make a temporary agreement that is separate to the final orders?

View more questions Search