Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geoss Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2006, 04:03 AM
    New washing machine discharge standpipe
    Hi,
    I'm putting in a new washing machine tomorrow, and would like to ask how much higher should the standpipe be?
    I am including a link with 2 pictures of how it is presently.(I have moved the electrical receptacle). In the picture, the distance from the top of the standpipe to the bottom of the "P" trap is 12". I was thinking of using one of those rubber joiners with 2 clamps and attaching 12" of plastic pipe. The plastic pipe is 1 1/2" and it would be connected to the 1 1/4" copper pipe.
    Any problems anyone can see here? Is 12" more enough?
    This would put the top of the standpipe 67" above the floor. Should it be a few inches higher? The manual says the discharge hose max. from the floor is 96", so there seems to be plenty of power to pump out.

I know ideally I should sweat another section of 1 1/4" pipe to the present setup but store only sells 10' sections(too expensive.
    Hope I'm clear. Here are the pics:

http://photobucket.com/albums/f400/geoss54/

Thanks... George
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2006, 07:02 AM
    Good morning George,
    "I'm putting in a new washing machine tomorrow, and would like to ask how much higher should the standpipe be?"

Your trap and 12" raiser looks to be 1 1/2" not 1 1/4". We hold our traps as close to the floor as we can and make out standpipes 36".
    However you can couple another 12" on to the existing standpipe using a No-Hub Band,(see image) and not a rubber coupling that isn't ridgid and cycle the washer to test for a overflow.
    "I know ideally I should sweat another section of 1 1/4" pipe to the present setup but store only sells 10' sections(too expensive."
    You're going to hardware stores where all they have is 10' lengths, Go to a plumbing shop where they have random lengths of copper in all sizes. Regards, Tom

Jan 13, 2006, 09:45 AM
    Thanks for the reply.
    Can you get these No-Hub bands at a Home Depot or do I have to go to a plumbing store? And do I use this "band" to connect the plastic to the copper.
    The pipe actually looks bigger on the net. When I put a rubber sleeve on the pipe, the 1 1/2" is too big, and the 1 1/4 fits snuggly.

Would it be better though to sweat on a 12" piece of copper, rather than attach one with a coupler. Plus would it be better to have the standpipe all one size rather than downsizing from a 1 1/2" to a 1 1/4"?
    Darn, it's hard to explain myself.
    Thanks
    George
    p.s. I see in the stores that some of the gas cylinfers are advertised as burning hotter... is it better to use these type of propane cylinders?
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2006, 10:38 AM
    Hi George,

I hope this works for you because by our standards you are woefully undersized. The normal size of a washer trap and stand pipe is 2". The length of the stand pipe is 36". You can try your new washer on what you have but don't be surprised if your present set up hasn't the capacity to carry away the discharge. You can purchase a copper coupling in the correct size and just slip it over the existing stand pipe ans slip the additional pipe in and cycle the washer to see if it will work for you and I hope it does.
    Regards, tom

Jan 13, 2006, 11:23 AM
    Thanks again,

I guess I could remove this too narrow pipe till the end of the "P" and then sweat an adaptor on... 1 1/4" to 2", but the part that enters the sewer drain, I don't think can be changed. Is it better if I did make new trap with 2" and use as much 2" as possible?
    Thanks
    George
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2006, 11:53 AM
    What I would do George, is to try the washer with your present configuration after adding a piece. If the old washer worked perhaps the new one will too and you won't have to hassle a thing. Cheers, Tom

Jan 13, 2006, 01:44 PM
    Reply to Tom(correction)
    Thanks again,
    I went downstairs and re measured the pipe. When I measure the inside diameter of the pipe it is actually
    1 1/2". So I found a plumbing supplier and willl go tomorrow morning and buy an 18" section and a connector.
    Just one question, Do I sweat it the same as smaller pipe... Have done a lot of 1/2" and 3/4" but not this big. Do I blow the water out of the trap before burning? Or just put a cold rag around the "P"... Thanks, again for all your help.
    And is regular cylindrical propane sufficient or the hotter burning one?
    George
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2006, 02:56 PM
    Hey George,

Let's try it out before you solder and then I'll walk you through it.
    You can purchase a copper coupling in the correct size and just slip it over the existing stand pipe and slip the additional pipe in and cycle the washer to see if it will work for you and I hope it does. Cheers Tom

Jan 13, 2006, 05:03 PM
    Thanks,
    Just bought the copper coupling and checked on the remaining pipe and fits great, sanded down the coupling inside and the outside of the pipe... tomorrow morning wikll buy the 1 1/2" extension pipe. The LG comes with a real nice attachment for the drain hose, so I don't see a problem with it backing up(fingers crossed)

My dad, who lived here, had the old hose(wider than new one) taped tight to the standpipe. I took off the tape and did a couple of loads and there was no backflow of water, and this was an old "lots of water" washer. The new one is a front load... looking forward to soldering
    George

Jan 16, 2006, 06:07 AM
    Reply-pic of finished project included
    Did as was guided, and as you can see, have a 24" standpipe now. Did 3 loads yesterday, and no oversudsing or water backup. The top of pipe is about 62" above floor, and LG says to not go higher than 96".
    Also, moved electrical receptacle and installed GCFI plug.
    I also braced the gas line ;pkipe, because before it just hung there...
    Thank you... George

http://photobucket.com/albums/f400/geoss54/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine discharge goes into sink [ 12 Answers ]

I live in a raised ranch. The toilet and shower are backed up to the laundry room. The sink and the washer use the same discharge pipe. When the washer drains, the water backflows into the sink and out onto the bathroom floor. The plumber has been here twice and installed a vent in the pipe but it...

Washing Machine Box [ 10 Answers ]

Greetings. My basement has an overhead Sewer pipe going out to the front. Therefore, if I want a washing machine in the Basement, I have to pump the discharge up and out in some way. Right now, the discharge goes to the sump pump hole and then is pupmed out. I want to install a washing...

Washing machine discharge volume [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning. I have a septic tank under the slab of my house. Occasionally, the tank becomes full (I pulled the downstairs toilet once, and the water level in the 3" pipe was at floor level). This happens only when there are many people in the house and laundry is being done. After a day or...

Washing Machine Discharge Hose Length [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to move my washing machine from its current position, directly in front of our utility tubs. The new location will require a discharge hose close to 15' long. (The washer inlet hoses will be about as long, too.) Is there any problem with this? Where can I get this length of...

View more questions Search