Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    illmatic Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 08:16 PM
    Im Lost and I droped out of high school and need to get life together
    Hey I'm 15 and dropped out of highshool about 4 month ago.Lately I just stay home and don't really do much I want to get myself together but I don't tend to mumble in a classroom situation and have had bad expiernces trying to talk in class. What should I do. Im willing to do the work and take the test its more the social part of school I like school and all if I could talk more clear in school and wouldn't mind at all. It has really effected my life. Also when I was a kid I had a acciedent where I broke my 4 front teeth so I had to grow up learning to talk without my front 4 baby teeth.My parents say that's why I talk like that
    Dana2007 Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Jan 27, 2008, 08:40 PM
    Why don't you look into getting your teeth fixed if they are not fixed yet.

Why don't you reconsider going back to school to finish your education and not to socialize. Socializing was never a priority for me because I knew that I had to support myself when I grew up. You can join a church or some other activity if you want to socialize.

Jan 27, 2008, 08:43 PM
    Its not even that it's the way I talk it effects me like I can't do projects that I have to present
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Jan 27, 2008, 08:51 PM
    Well if it's the social aspect that's detering you then get rid of the social part.
    Your just sitting around the house maybe you could try getting a tutor and doing home schooling (this only works if your committed too). Maybe try getting your GED instead, what year in HS are you? It seems a waste to go to school this long and then to just drop out. You can't let little things like looks and your teeth to deter you from bettering yourself for the future.
    Unfortunately... Weather you like it or not the whole world is a social experience. Maybe you just need to work on your social skills. Try to get a job, this way you can work on speaking. Or maybe see a speech therapist, or a dentist if you think that that's the problem. They have caps and implant that they can put in to make your teeth as good as new.
    Try to think about what you're going to say before you say it. Or this may sound dumb but humor me make speaches to yourself and record them and then play them back and try to fix what you think sounds wrong.
    Most importantly GO BACK TO SCHOOL!! Who cares what other people think?! It may seem stupid and pointless now, but that degree will help you get a good job, support a family, it's everything in today's society so go back or get your GED, anything.
    Hope Everything Works Out.

Jan 27, 2008, 08:53 PM
    I'm still in freshmen classes but am suppose to be a softmore

Jan 27, 2008, 08:54 PM
    Also my teeth have grown back my adult teeth its my baby teeth that I broke when I was a baby and I learned how to talk unproper cause I didn't have any front teeth growing up learning how to talk and you must be 18 to get capsi hope everything works out too and thanks for your help
    Expert

Jan 27, 2008, 09:01 PM
    Er... well that teeth theory is a bunch of crap then. Sorry my mum's a dentist, all I hear about is kids who have teeth knocked out and how lucky they are that it was baby teeth instead of there adult teeth.
    You're a freshmen? Come on your just getting started, live a little. Forget about your speech think about your future. You can be whatever you want to, you just have to want it bad enough!!

Sorry but I'm going to go Dr. Phil on you: Suck it up and stop feeling sorry for yourself, people out there are dying, and have bigger problems than dropping out of high school because they care about what others think, some people would be happy to even be going to high school.
    Sorry if that offended you... did it work?

Jan 27, 2008, 09:11 PM
    No I'm a softmore with freshmen clases. I'm not feeling sorry for myself I mean I'm only 15 I still can get my life together I just fell a little behind the pack.
    Expert

Jan 27, 2008, 09:14 PM
    Just trying a different angle.
    And it worked... you have just entered the first stage acceptance.
    Now what are you going to do about it?
    :-)
    Sorry about the grade mix up, wrote the first thing that I remembered from the post, not the first time that's happened.

Sorry again but I have a quick question, what do your parents think about all this?

Jan 27, 2008, 09:23 PM
    Its kind of hard to explain but my dads a very smart guy and he knows I'm going to end up OK he makes me read a lot and do math and reports what he thinks is necessary to know so I'm not just sitting doing nothing also thank god he owns a company so I can always fall back on it if things don't work out you know.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2008, 09:56 PM
    illmatic - I really agree with what " GERNALD " is telling you ,you need to listen to what he and others arte telling yiou for your own good, we are not your parents doing it we are just like your best friend talking to you. I am on the other post you posted ,but I mis understood the whole reason of the post. After I had answered it I found this post,But I did mean what I wrote.But lets get back to your problem, #1 - you do not have to be 18 before having caps on your teeth, I have some Grand children that has had caps since 15 , #2 stop feeling sorry for yourself, start going to a church,and Sunday school, the church I go to has one of the best young adults program I have ever seen, they have quite a program for them every summer they go to FLORIDA, doing GODS WORK, in the fall they make 3 days in ST. LOUIS, GET to go to a cardinals ball game, there is so many things for them, its not all work , they have a lot of fun otherwise.. I wish I had included in the other post about the (" SPEACH THERPAST") also,that's a very good idea. (WHAT EVER YOU DO -- DO NOT DROP OUT OF SCHOOL< GO BACK AND GET YOUR EDU. AND do depend on your dads co. as a way to make a living, it won't happen,not because your dad wants it that way but because it will cause it will cause him a lot of problems that you can't see at this time in life, And if you do it on your own you will be more proud of yourself then depending to give you a job . What all of us are telling you please listen and think about very hard. Your frind F.B.E. good luck & GOD BLESS
    Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 05:55 AM
    Even what your parents try to teach you won't make up for what your missing in school... go back.
    Your dad's not a teacher, not a homeschool teacher either from the sounds of it. It dosen't work unless your actually learning something.
    And prior to your belief or your dads, most high school drop outs do not turn out okay.
    aven Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Feb 8, 2008, 09:19 AM
    I drop out of high school cause I had acne leave me a parment damaged in my fore head I feel ambirse to go school is relly hard choice
    Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aven
    i drop out of high school cause i had acne leave me a parment damaged in my fore head i feel ambirse to go school is relly hard choice
    Wait are you Illmatic too? I'm confused.

Sorry but that's kind of a dumb reason to drop out too. People who are missing half there legs go to school, people who have been burnt to a crisp go to school. Acne scars? Come on no wonder the U.S. has such a screwed up public school system. :eek:
    PokerMoney Posts: 20, Reputation: 6

Feb 19, 2008, 10:28 PM
    I hope this helps you out some. I am 18 years old and a high school drop out. Well kind of. I decided that I didn't want to go to school anymore bacause I didn't want to get up in the morning. BIG MISTAKE! Thankfully I went straight out of my public school straight into cyber school (on the internet). There you could work at your own pase and all but getting a job without a high school diploma... it just doesn't happen in today's society unless you want to be flippin burgers for the rest of your life.
    This is what you need to do. Go back to school, it's never too late. Enroll for next year because if you don't you'll look back and realize it was the biggest mistake of your life! And if your insecure about the way you talk, just be thankful that you can talk. How do you think those people feel that have to talk through a hole in their throat. Probably not good. My advice to you is go to school get your diploma and if anyone has anything to say to you about the way you talk then they aren't a genuine person, and they'll get what's coming to them. Look your so young and you need to realize high school is the best part of your life! Live in the moment not for the future. Don't think of how talk differently think of it as you talk more unique than anyone you know. All things happen for a reason. Don't be ashamed of yourself be proud because the moment you show weakness everyone is going to see it. So be proud of who you are finish high school and go into the real world! I know you can do it I just hope you make the right decision. It's never too late!
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 11:16 PM
    illmatic - I have heard of some of the dumbest ,stupidest,allibys for not going to school or something, just to feel sorry for themselves, and use something like this as an excusse, and try to pass the buck back on someone's else's fault( like the invisable goast (WHO ME?? )if the true reason is what you say , then when the other kids try to tease you about it ,just look at them and say, ( I MIGHT TALK FUNNY <BUT I AM MAN ENOUGH TO GO TO SCHOOL AND STILL GET AN EDUCATION AND MAKE SOMETHING OUT OF MY LIFE< ) AND YOU ARE NO BETTER THEN I YOU HAVE SEVERAL FAULTS OF YOUR OWN) I went almost all the way through scool from 1st. Grade with a girl that was toung tied, for a long time it hurt her every time one of the other kids would tease her, she waqs a very sweet person and she tried really hard to not let it show when she was teased, behind it all SHE had one of the far most ( PERSONILLITES that any one in this world could EVER HAVE, ) SHE WENT ON TO BE A 10 grade high school teacher and was very poplar after years of teaching, MEDICAL PROCUDERS HAD IMPROVED TO THE POINT THAT SHE HAD A OPERATION AND NOW She CAN TALK BETTER AND PLAINER THEN ANY OF THE OTHER KIDS THAT HER AND I WENT TO SCHOOL WITH , KIDS WOULD EVEN TEASE ME <:: I WOULD JUST TELL THEM ( IM WITH THE NTCEST AND PREETIEST GIRL IN THE SCHOOL AND LAUGH AT THEM ) SIO IF IF IF YOU REALLY WANT TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL THEN I DO NOT< DO NOT SEE THAT YOU HAVE A GOOD EXCUSE, MAKE your parents and other friends proud of you , Just stand on your feet and become the man that others know you can, I used to tell my cub scouts,then my boy svcouts that there is no such word as( Can't ) if you think there is show it to me in the dictionary, I'M TELLING YOU THIS NOW::{ NO SUCH WORD } so go back to school and make something of yourself I SPENT 12 years working in scouting, Think of this , you may become the next PILOT of the space ship that goes to MARS and further, or even the next president in the future ID love to hear that in the near future that you finished high school and are in college!! :::: SO BE LIKE ( BETH ) WAS < I WISJH YOU ALL THE LUCK IN THE WORLD< FLYIHG BLUE EAGLE :::::::: GOD BLESS
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Ok sorry if I have missed something in a few posts

There are speech teachers, your parents should have had you in them in grade school, they should have went to school and worked on a program for you, I know many kids with speech issues.
    Now I also understand high school or any grade , kids can and are mean, but pick on people for any and all differeences. But that is a so what, the nerds that can't get a date in high school end up with the beauty queens in latter college because they are the ones going to get those 200,000 a year enginnering jobs after college or are the doctors latter ( not all but you get the point)

At this point you really have two options, a real home school program, there are online programs and other designed programs that require a certain amount of study.

Next to be a real home study program your dad has to follow state laws, normally this means he has to register with the state ( county school board) that he is home schooling you. He also has to keep records of the amount of hours you study every day, and the number of days you study.
    Often these records have to be turned into the state.

The best home school programs are ones that they actually grade your tests, they issue report cards and even have school numbers for use in applying to college and the such.

The other is to go back to real school and put up with it. But above all your parents should if you have a speech issue, get you professoinal help, for speech. I belveve if you along with your doctor present this need to the local school they have to set a program up to assist you. If not there are many great professoinals in private practice.
    bartoletti Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 12:46 PM
    Most districts have Independent Studies programs for kids who don't function well in a regular school setting. The main problems with such an approach are that: 1) the students must be really dedicated, making themselves study on their own, and 2) when you run into a problem, there's no one to help you out. You could wind up stuck in neutral, waiting for the next meeting for your teacher to explain something.
    I can tell from your writing that you need a lot of work in English but can only guess that you have also fallen behind in your other subjects as well. You are to be commended for at least wanting to get your life back on track, because you're right... at 15 you can still get it together. But wanting it and talking about it won't do; you've got to get yourself into some kind of program immediately or you'll find yourself even further behind... a junior with freshman credits. I taught high school "at-risk" kids for 37 years and can tell you that those who fall 2 years behind are the ones who will most likely never finish. Don't let that happen to you. The second semester is well underway now and you'll probably have a hard time making up some of the credits you're missing... but try! Get into something NOW or your good intentions will fade away.
    Best of luck to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I lost the love I felt, I lost the only thing that ever matterd [ 24 Answers ]

Wow I shouldn't even be feeling pain like this, I am so use to it! Anyway it all started 15 months ago and like a lot of heart ache and problems it started with a girl. We hooked up at a bar but I knew her before hand. She use to be with a guy I knew back in high school and since I line in such a...

Lost dad and even more lost daughter. [ 4 Answers ]

Someone please help? I have a 22 year old daughter who last year at this time received a DUI after a nights full of partying. This happened one week before her 21st surprise birthday party. Which of course did not happen due to the fact her DUI violation was issued after she rolled her friends car...

I've lost my way! [ 7 Answers ]

I am pretty peculiar one... I hate living... There's nothing wrong with me... I am good in most of the things... I just have no aim... -_- I find living meaningless... 'On this bed I lay Losing everything

I'm lost. [ 9 Answers ]

So here's the story... I was with a girl for 5 years. Our relationship was broken off about 4 months ago although we still talked... We ended our relationship because my parents/family did not approve due to us being from different background, culture (I'm asian). However, she...

I'm so lost right now. [ 1 Answers ]

Right now I feel utterly discontent with my life. I feel like I've failed in every way possible so far and I have nothing left to look forward to. I don't know if I'm depressed or not, but I'm very sad with my circumstances. You see I got a job about 8 months ago, I went into it head on with a...

View more questions Search