Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tylo Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 06:07 PM
    Name my plant?
    I bought a plant from ikea a few years ago, but I have no idea what it is.

If it is what I suspect I want to use it for my cooking, but don't want to risk it.

I took it my garden centre but the spotty 16 yr old didn't have a clue!

It is potted inside, lived on my kitchen window sill, needs loads of water, constantly dies and I bring it back to llife.

Its smell is really intense if you touch it... Lemons! Okay,so I thought it might be lemon balm or lemon thyme, but it doesn't flower at all.

It resembles a small tree (has grown to 3 foot, but I had to cut it down as it died in the middle). The 'trunk' is about 1cm thick and pretty bare with 'branches' about every inch.

The leaves are a bit hairy and are all bunched up (like if you gather up the edge of material), really hard to explain!

The 'trunk' is dry brown and the branches eventually go like that the more it grows.

Can anyone help?
    CMM_Kaleido Posts: 77, Reputation: 8

Jan 27, 2008, 07:09 PM
    It is possibly a citronella geranium or mosquito plant view here: Citronella Geranium, Mosquito Plant

Unlike yours these seem to have flowers, but I had a variety for several years that did not bloom. It had the woody trunk with a long stem per leaf.
    CMM_Kaleido Posts: 77, Reputation: 8

Jan 28, 2008, 08:33 PM
    Hmmm. Here are a few more links for you to peruse. Geraniums and pelargoniums seem to have a wide variety of shapes (but they also seem to all have flowers).
    Citrus

Grand View Geraniunm Grandens Once there scroll down to Scented-Leaf Geraniums-Lemon-Rose

Here is a link for information on other lemon scented plants.
    Lemon Herbs | Plants

Geraniums have a very distinctive leaf-stem joint. Below is a link to a good image of that. If your plant doesn't match that joint than it probably isn't a geranium at all.
    Google Image Result for http://gvgeranium.com/Scented%20geraniums/Mable%20Grey.JPG

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone know the name of this plant? [ 2 Answers ]

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/329839/2/istockphoto_329839_feathery_plants.jpg Urgent, thanks!

What Plant Is It? [ 3 Answers ]

I´m trying to remember what the plant is called that is traditionally hung over doorways at Christmas time and that couples must kiss under when they pass through. Can you help me?

ID this plant [ 4 Answers ]

Please identify this plant: curly leaves http://farm1.static.flickr.com/209/496222110_2080669081_o.jpg

What should I plant . [ 3 Answers ]

I have a wonderful patch of empty dirt between my garage and sidewalk and don't know what to put there, last year I tried raspberry canes and blueberries but there wasn't enouph sun and they didn't produce any berries, It is in shade all the time, I was thinking of some pretty flowers and maybe a...

View more questions Search