Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    judy_mac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2006, 09:49 PM
    2 operating systems
    I have windows 2000, then I installed xp and now have both os when I start up.How do I uninstall 2000? I've read some posts and am not clear on what u mean by formatting. I'm not very experience and need help. Thank you .
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 13, 2006, 07:22 AM
    Fisrt of you want to make sure that all the DATA that you want to keep is backed up, off the hard drive.
    Make sure you have ALL your apps and XP discs to hand.

Once all this is done you are ready to reinstall XP.
    This is very simple:
    Here's some instructions that should help:
    *Look for message "booting from CD" usually located at the bottom of the screen. If you have a factory splash screen, press ESC to unload it.
    *Press any Key when you see the prompt to 'Press Any Key"
    *Setup will start copying files, if you need to install any third-party or RAID drivers press F6 at this time. The copying of files can take awhile.(leave this one)
    *Next you will get the option to repair or enter setup, choose to enter setup. Press ENTER.
    *Press F8 if you agree to the license.
    *Setup will scan for previous Windows installations
    *You want to delete all existing partitions, recreate the ones you want and then install a fresh copy of XP.

Leave to cook for 30-40 minutes

This will completely wipe your drive (Format) and reinstall ONE copy of XP.

The reinstall route I always use is:
    Install XP
    FULLY patch it with Windows Update
    Install Anti Virus, update and scan (AVG is good and free)
    Install Anti spyware, update and scan (A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)
    Defrag.

Then install any other Apps you need, like Office, etc.

Hope this helps
    Sawi G Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2006, 04:47 AM
    To remove the other operatimg system you right click my computer go to properties then advanced tab then got o settings under startup and recovery, go to edit and remove the operating system u want to get rid of
    Sawi G Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2006, 05:25 AM
    Thanks but no thanks because I don't want to reinstall I just want to clear operating system choice message. Like I said I have already removed the boot.ini
    For the other operating system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Multiple operating systems [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir; I have installed in my computer two operating systems windows98 and And windows2000 when my computer is going to boot it may open an Operating system menu which is shown to you below. Select an operating system Windows 2000 you have thirty secounds to chose 25 time Windows98

2 operating systems [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I installed XP pro rather than upgrading home. Now I have 2 OS on my PC. Obviously I'd like to simply be running pro and not home. I'd like to get all my settings from home to pro and get rid of home. Can I do this, or should I just uninstall pro and try and upgrade again. Thanks,...

Two Operating Systems? I Need To Get Rid Of One Of Them [ 8 Answers ]

I currently have Windows XP Pro. I had to reinstall XP because of a big problem I had. Well instead of upgrading which I should have done, I reinstalled it as a new install. When I boot up my computer, it asks me which operating system I want to run. I know I have to go into the boot ini. File but...

I have 2 operating systems? HELP! [ 1 Answers ]

I reinstalled my windows xp professional. When the computer boots, it asks me which operating system to start from? I always pick the first one because it is the reinstalled xp. How can I get rid of it asking me that questions? This happened to me before but I forget how to do it.

Windows operating systems [ 2 Answers ]

I received a new Dell computer for the holidays and am not happy with the Windows XP Home operating system that came on it. I have a hard drive that has Windows 98SE and would prefer to have it on the system. What is the best procedure to follow to change the operating system on a preconfigured...

View more questions Search