Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laura from L.A. Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2006, 09:39 PM
    Shower leak is it the pan or the drain?
    Hi all :) Well were selling our home and the inspector said we had a small leak under our 2nd bath we figured pout its coming from the shower we have a single story w/ a crawl space under so we could figure it out. Anyway the pan looks great to be honest we don't use that bath room very much. But could the leak be coming from the drain itself? If so how do we isolate it. Any advise is appreciated! Thanks Laura
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2006, 08:49 AM
    Hi Laura,

"Could the leak be coming from the drain itself? If so how do we isolate it?"

To check to see if the you have a pan or a drain leak, take off the strainer and jam a wet rag or blow up a balloon and make the drain water tight.
    Now fill the shower floor with a few inches and let it set over night. Next morning check for any moisture. If there is none then the leak's in the drainage which is a lot easier to repair then a leaky pan. Good luck. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower drain leak [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday we noticed that a good amount of water had leaked from around our can light directly below the shower. (This was the first time we had a problem.) The drain itself seems to be in good working order because water poured directly into the drain does not cause any leaks. This is a Kohler...

Shower Drain Leak [ 9 Answers ]

My house is 17 years old and I am the original owner. The fiberglass shower stall in the 2nd floor master bath is obviously leaking, as the first floor ceiling directly below it has some water spots and was wet to the touch. I removed the drain screen and pulled out 17 years worth of hair. It...

Shower drain leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there…we have a leak in our second floor shower drain. This had happened once before we bought the house (you can see where they patched the ceiling drywall). We have opened up the ceiling and managed to get the nut loosened from the underside of the drain. There was a paper gasket (which...

Shower drain leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a leak in my shower drain, and I am fairly confident it is between the two screw-in pieces of the drain. The problem I have is it is an upstairs shower, so I do not have access to the floor plumbing at the moment (I may have to start cutting some ceilings :-). Even if I did, the assembly is...

Shower Drain Leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 36"x42" fiberglass shower (mfg: Jacuzzi) on the second floor that is leaking from the drain. I have opened up the ceiling on the first floor for access and had a plumber take a look at it. Appaently the problem is caused by a slight movement of the drain when someone steps into the shower...

View more questions Search