Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wolfcandy2 Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Jan 27, 2008, 11:07 AM
    Suddenly sick puppy
    I have a 4 month old pitbull terrier that suddenly got sick,he's throwing up yellow and not holding anything down,is listless,no energy.have given him pedialyte and boiled rice.What can he have since he only goes out to go potty?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2008, 11:31 AM
    Wolf, does he have diarrhea as well as the vomiting? If so, you need to call your vet and get your puppy medical attention immediately. Usually vets have someone on call for such emergencies. With vomiting and diarrhea, a young pup can dehydrate quite rapidly. He could easily have picked up a viral infection from the ground outside if he hasn't been in contact with any other dogs recently. I don't want to scare you but it could be parvo virus, which can kill a puppy. I would rather see you err on the side of caution and seek out a vet today, than attempt to wait it out and hope for the best.

Jan 27, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Ruby he has no diarrhea as yet,have taken him to the vet and they can't do anything until tomorrow(if it is parvo he's gone anyhow... ) I have done everything including praying and lotsa crying,the vet said that he won't get the results for 2 days so it is going to be hard to see my puppy going through this and feeling so helpless
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Wolf, if he doesn't have diarrhea that is a good sign. I truly hope it doesn't occur. If it does occur and it turns out to be parvo, please don't write him off. There is a 50/50 chance of survival and your little guy might be able to fight off the infection. I know how hard it is to watch our babies get sick and not be able to help them. My heart goes out to you. Please keep trying to get him to eat the boiled rice and drink the pedialyte. You could try boiling a little bit of chicken and adding both that and the rice to some chicken broth. If you don't have any broth handy and can get to the grocery store today, you can find plain chicken broth in the soup section. They sell it in both cans and boxes. Just try to make him as comfortable as possible. First thing tomorrow morning get on top of the vet.

Jan 27, 2008, 11:56 AM
    Im not writing him off yet just making it a little easier to let go when and if that time does come.He spits out the boiled rice with the chicken broth and we have to give him pedialyte by a turkey baster... Called the vet... all he will do is put him down since he's that far along... and he is the most relied upon vet in town
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2008, 06:51 AM
    How does the vet know he is that far along if he hasn't had a chance to examine him? He can be put on intraveneous fluids and you can ask your vet how you can care for him in the comfort of your own home to reduce the cost of the care. I hope the vet can give you some hope today. My thoughts are with you.

Jan 28, 2008, 07:33 AM
    The vet looked at him this morning,he said that he wouldn't last the night and if he did wouldn't make it through the day... the IV fluids would be a shock to his system that it would kil him... thats how far along he is.Last night was a bad night for my mom and me,all we did was try to give him the pedialyte(which after an hour threw up in its entirety),giving him rice(which he usually loves but not this time... like he already knew what was happening to him ). The dr did say to try and keep him warm during his final hours(hes shaking as if he's cold)... dr said that it is a matter of time when he goes which totally sent me to bawling worse than I am already... I feel so helpless to this
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Wolf, I am truly, truly sorry about all of this. We have been seeing a lot of people here who have been going through exactly what you are going through and it is always heartbreaking for everyone. If your vet feels he is that far along and won't make it, the kindest thing you can do is to ask the vet to put him down and spare him the pain he is going through. He will first give the puppy a shot that will simply knock him out, then the one that euthanizes him. It is much more humane than allowing him to go through the painful process he is currently enduring. I know it is not an easy situation to be placed in but please give this some consideration.

Jan 28, 2008, 07:54 AM
    I already have Ruby and my friend that took me to see the vet is taking me to the animal shelter to get him put down for free... Its just not right or fair that a beautiful puppy should have to endure such pain.Im in the process of bleaching my house down and washing everything and discarding things,making me bawl again... I so want another dog
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Honey, I know how difficult this is for you. Please wait on getting another puppy. If you feel that you must have one within 6 months, I would urge you to consider adopting a dog over a year or two old. The older a dog is, the less likely they will contract it and/or their body's immune system is strong enough to be able to fight it off. Even though you are bleaching everything you can, that virus can still remain active for a good 6 months. You can't bleach the ground outside and the virus will remain where ever you walked your puppy. Here is a website that gives you idea of the virus, what to do to clean, and how easily the virus is able to survive for months in your immediate environment. Dunlap Vet Clinic - Disinfecting after Parvovirus

Stay strong.

Jan 28, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Im not jumping into the saddle again so fast,cant do that anyway,no money.Id love to get another pit but here in Lousyana they frown on the breed because f the breed not by anything else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Very sick puppy very sick [ 12 Answers ]

I know I have been reading on this site and others and before I go any further I know my pup needs a doctor. I can not afford one at all right now and they won't make a payment plan with me because I have horrible credit. I have an 8 months old black lab that I was given for free or they were...

Potty trained puppy peeing/pooping inside suddenly [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 7 month old Wheaten terrier who has been doing extremely well with potty training. He was actually fully potty trained until this past week. When he needed to go, he'd sit by the door and cry... and if that didn't work, he'd come up to us, sit in front of our faces and cry. But within...

Sick puppy [ 1 Answers ]

My wife put aloe from a plant on a sting bite tonight and our chihuahua licked her leg and now he is throwing up. Is it poison to him?

Sick puppy! [ 1 Answers ]

My 2 month puppy is sad and always sleepy and he is sneezing his nose is running what should I do?

Trained puppy suddenly pooping in crate [ 3 Answers ]

I have read through the threads to find a question that is exactly like mine, but didn't find one. Sorry if this is a duplicate. I have a 5 month old recscue lab mix. She came from a very good foster family and was really easy to crate train. I am home most of the time, so she is only crated...

View more questions Search