Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bassoonchica101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Financial Aid for the Independent student
    Is this anyway for a student who is under 24, not married, doesn't have a kid, is not emancipated, and is not a veteran to get financial aid in Michigan without her parent's taxes? My parents are refusing to give out their tax information and I don't live with them. I am repeatedly being told that I have to have it to apply for financial aid.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2008, 05:59 PM
    You shouldn't have to. Sign an affidavit to the effect that your parents will not share their tax information with you and don't support you (which actually makes you emancipated) and have it notarized. Better yet, see if your parents will sign such an affidavit. The financial aid officer at your school should be able to advise you as well.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 26, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Well of course you are emancipaed, anyone over 18 is, since ou are free to go and move anywhere you want.

But there is some federal aid is dependent up on parents income ( to my knowlege), since the government expects them to help with your education if they can afford to do so. But you need to talk to the financial aid department, and see what options you have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Financial aid [ 2 Answers ]

I Am A College Student And I Am Unable To Get Funds For Computer And Books How Can I Get Some Funds For This I Have Tried Private Loans And Due To My Credit Situation I Am Unabe To Get A Loan What Can I Do.

How can I register as an independent student? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 22 years old and I have not been living with my parents for about 15 months. I was told by my aunt that my cousin who is only 19 is registered in college as an independent student. I have not been able to do this because I am still considered an dependent student. My aunt said that all I...

Financial Aid for high school student summer studies abroad [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter has been accepted into a program (People to People Student Ambassador Program). She will be going to France, Italy, and Spain this summer (2008). The cost for the program is 6,000 which I cannot afford. Is there financial aid or grants for international studies abroad for high school...

Financial Aid [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mother, and I want to get back into school. I recently applied for financial aid. Will I get it?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Independent student filing fafsa.. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am filing the fafsa and css profile for financial aid at the turn of the year as an independent student because I provide for more than half of my child's support. I have never filed any tax forms though and am completely lost on the subject. I know(I think I know?) I don't need to file...

View more questions Search