Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ninnyfi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2006, 02:40 PM
    Wiring phone jacks
    I need to rewire a phone jack back to a different number. How do I do this? Any help appreciated.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Jan 12, 2006, 03:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ninnyfi
    I need to rewire a phone jack back to a different number. How do I do this?? Any help appreciated.
    how many number do you have in you main box... normally the tele comp. just switch the wires in their OWN BOX... ussually there are only two wires to exchance... if the wires for the new number are coming directly from the house main box to the jack you want to change then you only have to switch 2 wires... if not you will have to trace out every jack ( tap) in between and switch the wires
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2006, 05:22 PM
    Normally the first line uses the red and green and the second one uses the black and yellow, so you just have to switch them. Unfortunately I am not sure which is which. Some time ago somebody explained very well even giving names to the red and green wires. If you dig deeply enough, you might find it.
    ninnyfi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2006, 08:06 PM
    Helpful friend
    Thank you so much for your help I will open it up and see what I can do. :) :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to change wiring on phone jack for DSL [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I need help! I have only one phone jack in room with computer. It is a separate line and number different from my home phone. I am getting DSL and will no longer need this separate number. When I cancel this number for cpu that line will be dead(I Think). I ordered my DSL on my regular...

Phone jack wiring [ 7 Answers ]

How do I convert jack that was used for a second line back to the primary line?

Connect Dead Phone Jacks [ 2 Answers ]

I've recently moved into a house, and only 2 of the 6 phone jacks work. I only have one line... I've already compared the "working" jacks to the non-working jacks, and they seem to have a similar configuration. The outside wires are all going to line one. Any ideas how to get these phone jacks...

Phone Wiring [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm new to this board and hopefully will find it helpful. I'm having a problem with the phones in my house. We have perfectly working phone jacks upstairs, but downstairs I'm having a problem. We had no problems at all until about a month ago. My phone is totally dead. However,...

DSL and wiring phone jacks [ 1 Answers ]

I have phone svc through SBC and DSL stand alone through Qwest; was assigned a separate phone # for dsl svc and was told could not "piggyback" on same phone jack; trying to avoid paying $100 svc fee to qwest; have purchased separate jack but don't know what wires to attach where. Can anyone help?

View more questions Search