Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 09:35 PM

How do you change the speed with no remote?
    sparky7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 12:39 PM
    Amazing what you can find out on the internet! I don't remember what brand my fan is but it has a hunter remote. When I installed it a year ago it was going the right direction but I turned it on the other day and its going the wrong way. I tried akabobs solution. I used a pole to turn the blades in the other direction and it started turning in reverse after about the third time. I'm an electrician and I think in electrician school I remember something about certain types of electric motors that will turn in what ever direction they are started in. I don't know for sure about that but I'm ecstatic my fans going the right direction and I didn't have to drag a ladder out and tear my fan apart to fix it. Thanks
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 02:17 AM

I think it's more about tricking the receiver circuitry. Whenever I try to convince my non-remote fans to spin the other way, they aren't so easily fooled.
    sheilacrow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2010, 03:58 PM
    I have several remote ceiling fans (hunter brand). I recently added two ceiling fans (also hunter) in the living room. I am continually having RF interference problems; lights & fans go on and off sporatically. I have changed the code on the receivers and the transmitters several times with no luck. I have even had an electrician come check the switch and wiring - all okay. Any suggestions welcomed.
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2010, 01:38 PM

Changing the codes is the only option. If you can't find enough different codes to operate each fan, check with Hunter Fan Ceiling Fans, Air Purifiers, Humidifiers, Thermostats

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More
    marieatriogrande Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2010, 11:40 AM
    My husband and I just did it!! It really works! After over a year we were about to buy a new fan and gave it a final try to look for solutions and AKABob's solution worked on the 4th or 5th time. It's working just fine on the right direction. KUDOS AKABob!!
    marieatriogrande Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2010, 11:42 AM

AKABob's technique works! We just fixed our fan and it is going in the right direction now!! Wow! We were about to buy a new one tonight when we gave it a last try to look for a solution. It worked on our 4th or 5th try!
    Lutzifer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 06:29 AM
    Adding my Happy man post... I have a Hampton Bay Sidewinder fan that I am not using the receiver or wall remote switch. I think the wall remote is ugly and wanted to use a fan switch/light dimmer switch to match the rest of my switches style and color. Plus I'm worried that with my little kids that the buttons will be too enticing for them to leave alone. My fan turned clockwise out of the box and I needed to switch the direction. AKABob's suggestion work! My wife's first attempt failed but on the second she gave the fan a good spin by hand in the desired direction, then turned the switch from off to high and back to off once a second, three times. On the third it was running the correct direction. Thank you everyone.
    csarff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2011, 04:12 PM
    Many fans come with blades that are pretty on the top side, too. You can take the blades off and turn them over. Then the bend of the blade may go the other way, if it is that style.
    thetoolman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2011, 04:38 PM
    OK I have a Hampton Bay Altura a 68" fan for an over-sized room, my issue it seems to me the fans turns very slowly even on high. I feel it should turn at least twice as fast. I use the remote control to turn it on, off, low, med & high and the light which we usually never use. Any feed back would be appreciated
    Gillma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2011, 01:16 PM
    Received a remote with no instructions chq8bt7053t... what do I do with it? Can someone help
    nickbre Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2012, 02:18 PM
    Looking for a Hunter fan with a wall or remote that has reverse... installing on 20 foot ceiling and can't throw the switch on the fan.

It has to be a white fan and it has to have blade of 52in

Any suggestions on which Hunter fan??
    gvbabcock Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2012, 02:24 PM
    Own a Hunter ceiling fan remote part no 86603-01, not instructions on setting a reverse, your suggestion worked after the 3rd try, thank you for saving us $$$.
    stickchick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2013, 01:59 PM
    I have a fan by Fanimation and have tried the above suggestions for reversing the blades with no luck. Are there any other ideas? No switch on the fan mounting, and no reverse button on the remote. I need to have it go counter clockwise for winter. Thanks for any help or ideas someone might have,
    thewoz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2015, 12:23 PM
    Turn the fan off and spin it in the direction you want it to go. Then quickly snap the power on and of once or twice within a second or two.
    If you have a wall switch it makes it easier, but you might need to do this from the circuit breaker, with 2 people, one to spin the fan.

Basically on the first snap, the fan will start to slow down because you spun it in a direction it does not want to go and it is trying to go the other way. On the second snap of the power, it should click, and pick up speed in the right direction.

You may have to try 3 or 4 times with 2 to 3 power snaps, but it almost always takes.

We have a non-Home Depot fan in the dining room that was in "winter" mode, with no switch to change it. I read this idea and thought... you got to be kidding me! But what the heck, I tried it. About the 4th or 5th time, dang it, it reversed to counter-clockwise/summer mode. Living proof that even at age 63 you can learn something new.

John in Wisconsin

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Remote Video/fan Remote Control [ 16 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Video & Fan Remote Control (Model #UR8050T). It has been working fine for about 2 years until it recently began malfunctioning. It still operates the television, but the use of the fan/light features has stopped working. It will not turn the fan on or off, and the light is...

Ceiling fan remote control wiring help? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi We just bought an Aloha Breeze remote control fan. We put it up as directed as we have put up several fans in the past. This is our first try at one with a remote. The fan came with a hand held remote and the receiver. The wiring diagram that came with it is hard to see and there are no precise...

Ceiling fan w/lights & remote control [ 1 Answers ]

I am building a sun room that will have a ceiling fan with lights. I want to turn the lights on and off from 3 different locations (4-way switching). I also want to control the lights from a remote control. Does anyone offer a remote that will control the fan speeds, light dimming and also...

Hampton bay remote control ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Windward II 54” ceiling fan and fluorescent lamp with remote control. I replaced the original fluorescent circline lamp with a new one. Now the light won’t turn won’t stay on or dim and the fan operates properly. Any ideas?

Remote control ceiling fan transmitter/receive replacement [ 2 Answers ]

Hi -- I just replaced the transmitter/receiver on my remote control light/ceiling fan, and it's working just fine. Thing is, before I installed it, I noted that the new control set said not to use on solid state ceiling fans. Because I didn't buy the fan in the first place, I wasn't sure of even so...

View more questions Search