Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 26, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Chimney at a slight angle inside house?
    We have an island in our family room 12' wide. The right 1/3 is a vertical cavity for a putting in an entertainment assembly, we once fit a 40" projection TV fully into the cavity and it filled it. The cavity/shelf is elevated 3' with a base to it and empty storage underneath of about 1.5'.

The left 2/3 has an elevated fireplace built into it with a gap underneath for storage of about 1.5'. The chimney goes straight up above the fireplace meaning the island has a chimney above the left half.

We want to get rid of the projection TV and use a large flatscreen, 50-60". The right hand "cavity" only allows up to 42", plus the cavity would be mostly empty, resulting in an ugly entertainment area. We would like to drop the fireplace to the floor, eliminating the lower storage, and move it to the center of the island, then mount a flatscreen TV above it portrait-style.

Moving the fireplace down 3' and over 2' is probably no big thing, and we would make the cavity on the right disappear, but my problem is with the chimney. I REALLY don't want to add remodeling the chimney/roofline into the project. Can the upper chimney be left where it is angling slightly down to the right to new fireplace? How much angle is allowed? Safe?

Also, are there any known concerns with mounting flatscreen TVs above fireplace inserts?

Jerry
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 26, 2008, 05:04 PM
    How hot does it get above the fireplace when in operation. That will tell you if you can use a TV there.

The fireplace can be moved and probably a offset added to the chimney BUT I would call a professional because the fireplace supports the chimney and the person you hire or a engineer will have to make the final discission.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer odor inside house [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have just read your answer to "empi's" question about sewer odor in the laundry and bathroom.We have a similar situation. The laundry room is directly underneath the bathroom. When we run the washing machine we get a terrible odor in both the laundry room and the bath room. This problem...

Gnat invasion. Inside house. [ 1 Answers ]

Hey you, my wife and I are having a problem with gnats in the house today and yesterday. Is there a solution recipe to mix to attract / kill the little critters?

Sewer Odor Inside House [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I've been reading through previous posts and have found similar situations but nothing matching up to our problem exactly. We have a sewer odor in the house that seems to involve several variables. Here's as much info as I can give: The house was built over 100 years ago. We rent the...

My dog is urinating inside the house [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We have a 1 1/2 years old labrador retriever. We have him since we were a 4 months puppy. He started his training when he was 8 months. He is a good dog but he has some behaivor problems. Over the last couple of months he has been urinating in some specific places in the house, like...

Sewer odor inside house [ 1 Answers ]

I have noticed an sewer odor inside my house lately after the heavy rain storm. I have looked for any leaks where the sink is, but have not found any. Could the odor be coming from the sewage? How can I tell? If so, then what can I do to get rid of it? Any help would be a appreciated. Thanks.

View more questions Search