Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 26, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Fireplace Chimney angles
    We have an island in our family room 12' wide. The right 1/3 is a vertical cavity for a putting in an entertainment assembly, we once fit a 40" projection TV fully into the cavity and it filled it. The cavity/shelf is elevated 3' with a base to it and empty storage underneath of about 1.5'.

The left 2/3 has an elevated fireplace built into it with a gap underneath for storage of about 1.5'. The chimney goes straight up above the fireplace meaning the island has a chimney above the left half.

We want to get rid of the projection TV and use a large flatscreen, 50-60". The right hand "cavity" only allows up to 42", plus the cavity would be mostly empty, resulting in an ugly entertainment area. We would like to drop the fireplace to the floor, eliminating the lower storage, and move it to the center of the island, then mount a flatscreen TV above it portrait-style.

Moving the fireplace down 3' and over 2' is probably no big thing, and we would make the cavity on the right disappear, but my problem is with the chimney. I REALLY don't want to add remodeling the chimney/roofline into the project. Can the upper chimney be left where it is angling slightly down to the right to new fireplace? How much angle is allowed? Safe?

Also, are there any known concerns with mounting flatscreen TVs above fireplace inserts?

Jerry
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 27, 2008, 07:47 PM
    So this must be a prefab like a Majestic or Heatilator. Dropping 3' and over two would require two 45 degree chimney angles and the only one that can tell you if you can do that is the fireplace manufacturer. If you can he sells you the 45s and describes it in his install manual. If he does make or sell 45s of talk about them in my manual then I think you are sunk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rainwater Leaking Through Chimney onto Gas Fireplace Insert [ 3 Answers ]

About 3 years ago, we had a gas fireplace insert installed into our existing brick wood-burning fireplace. All was well until this fall, when we had our first really heavy rainfall with high winds of the season, that I noticed rainwater dripping onto the top of our gas fireplace insert. This...

Odor coming from fireplace/chimney [ 3 Answers ]

I put this here because heating - fireplace - really didn't know where else to go. I've been reading on the internet about chimneys emitting oder and it all describes a different smell than I'm smelling. My fire place (which has not been used for at least 4 years) has been leaking when it...

Leak around basement fireplace but not in fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Recently when we had heavy rain it leaked around the baement fireplace. I have noticed that the grout around the bricks are wet (not sure if soaking up from the floor). Thought because some flooding near by that it was a one time thing. Now it rained a coupe of days ago and I am noticing that it is...

Fireplace insert- chimney [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We recently had our chimney cleaned, costing $160. We have a fireplace insert. The person who cleaned it said our chimney was not safe without a liner-it does have flute. He estimated us $1300 ot put one in and said I don't feel comfortable with you using it. I called my insurance and...

HELP... PLEASE.. chimney leak? Carpet wet around fireplace... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... I hope someone understands what might be going on.. Several weeks ago, while it was raining, we noticed in our downstairs room, the plasterboard above the wood stove... Was wet... and dripping.. onto the brick hearth... that the wood stove sits upon. My husband went up on the roof...

View more questions Search