Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cnj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2006, 01:04 PM
    Park owner demands fee foe selling mobile home?
    Hello all. First post/question here. Please advise if possible. My wife & I own a mobile home in a mobile home park here in California. We just received our new lease paperwork, and in it, there is a new stipulation. The park owner is demanding a 5% "fee" or "commission" from any park resident if/when they sell their mobile home. I suspect he has no real estate license, and will not be doing anything to "earn" the commission (no showing the place, no advertising, etc). This sounds illegal to me. Any input? Any place I can go to determine if he has the right to inflict this fee upon us? Thank you in advance!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2006, 01:20 PM
    Sounds fishy to me to.

He can ask anything he wants, but he has no right to insist on this.

Offer him the deal with out the provision. If he refuses, find a new place and report him.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2006, 01:34 PM
    Lease
    If this is a new lease, simply cross out any part of the lease you do no agree with, remember this is a contract, if you don't agree, cross it out and initital it. Signed and return it to them. MAKE A COPY FOR YOU.

Just a thought, not legal advice.
    bausman Posts: 19, Reputation: 5

Jan 20, 2006, 08:02 PM
    I don't see how he can request a commission for you selling your mobile home. If he is calling it a lease buy-out or something (since it would only be viable during the term of the lease) he may get away with it. It really depends upon how its worded - do you mind posting the paragraph verbatim? I am curious about this one.

Also, I would have an attorney look at it. If the attorney has issue with it, I would report him to the district attorney and any agency that regulates mobile home parks, housing, etc.

Of course if he finds out who did that, he will probably terminate their lease - just be smart about it. Don't tell anyone else (outside your attorney) know what you are doing - just do it.

Carvel
    Glenn Bell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 07:35 AM
    CNJ, this is absolutely illegal, CA Mobile Home Residency Law states explicitly that it is illegal to charge an entrance or exit fee. You need an experienced MRL attny. This is fraud and you can collect up to $2,000.00 for this intentional breech. And by the way you can not insert a demand into a lease that is intentionally contrary to existing law.
    I am President of a state-wide coalition of Mobile/Manufactured Homeowners. Any more info needed come to Welcome To Neighborhood Friends!, I would like to know more about this lease. Glenn

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mobile Home Park Eviction [ 4 Answers ]

My Husband And I Have Been Renting A Lot In A Mobile Home Parkin Va For 3 Years Now. We Just Received A "so Called" Eviction Notice The Other Day. It Was On Plain Paper Typed On A Computer. It Only Stated That We Had To Leave The Premises Within 30 Days, It Did Not State Why, Nor Was It A Notice...

Kentucky Mobile Home Park Law [ 4 Answers ]

What Are The Laws Regarding Eviction Of A Tenant In A Mobile Home Park Where They Own The Trailer. I Have Already Given 30 Written Notice And They Won't Move... And Won't Pay Rent What Do I Do

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

Mobile Home Tub [ 3 Answers ]

I'm reinstalling a garden tub in an early 80's mobile home. It has an above floor drain, and I'm a little confused as to how to hook it up. It is against a wall with no access to the drain from the rear or underneath. Any help would be appreciated. This is my first experience with plumbing a...

View more questions Search