Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rjteague Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Central water filtration system
    I have well water that has a lot of hard water due to limestone rock all around our house. I am thinking of buying a whirlpool gold (model whelj1) central filter system as it does not require replacing filters and it could fit into my water where an old water softner is now. Do you have any knowledge of this type of filter by whirlpool? If it is any good, it might pay for itself in savings on filters. (I now pay about $70 a year on filters).
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2008, 10:04 AM
    I am not familiar with this system but in looking around on the web it seems to be more designed for chlorine and sediment removal, not a water softener.

Filters Fast - Water Filter Forums - View Single Post - Whirlpool WHELJ1 "whole house water filtration system"?
    Central Water Filtration System
    The New Whirlpool Gold(R) Central Water Filtration System Provides Better Water for Homes and Families

This site gives a listing of labs by state which can test water. Pretty handy.
    EPA > Water > Drinking Water > Frequent Questions > State Certification Officers for Drinking Water Laboratories
    rjteague Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2008, 07:03 PM
    I was not wanting it for softening the water but to filter out limestone deposits, etc from the water. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on this particular product before I buy it.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2008, 07:48 PM
    "I have well water that has a lot of hard water." Sounded like you needed a water softener... At any rate, I happened to see one of those units at Lowe's tonight... $380.00 or so. It only states that it removes chlorine and sediments. If your only problem is limestone particles, that can be filtered with a $25.00 Lowe's filter with a sediment cartridge. I suspect that you are referring to dissolved minerals which end up depositing on pipes, faucets, etc. For that, I think you will be looking for a water softener.
    kurtr20 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rjteague
    I was not wanting it for softening the water but to filter out limestone deposits, etc from the water. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on this particular product before I buy it.

I have the same sediment problem and I think it is either lime or calcium. It's kind of a white sediment that comes out when my ice cubes melt and also crystalizes in my coffee maker. I just talked to a tech rep at Whirlpool and he said it filters down to 200 microns. He said the idea behind it was to eliminate the replacement filters for your typical filtration systems so it should do the same thing as the replaceable filters. I am also curious as to how it works. The Lowes.com user rating have it at 4.9 out of 5 for 14 users. Have you bought one yet and if so how is it working so far.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filtration of Water [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is David. I need a question about filtering. Could you please tell me how filtering works on water? Also could someone please tell me any other method of filtering water?

Well water filtration systems. [ 2 Answers ]

OK... I'm trying to find some advice on well water filtration systems... at present we have a system in our house that's over 20 years old, they stopped making parts for it 9 years ago, and its on its last legs... so basically I'm doing as much research as I can to find a replacement system to get...

Water central heating system loses pressure [ 5 Answers ]

The central heating system in my 50 year old home seems to be losing water pressure. We thought it might be due to some pipes that were running in a concrete slab and had leaked. We bypassed that, but now the pressure is still not holding. We see no leaks anywhere. Any ideas?

How do I increase H2O pressure on well system with a water filtration system? [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, I would like to know how I can increase my water pressure. My current system uses a well pump with a small pressure tank, and "D" control valve. It then runs through a WATERSOFT filtration tank, RAINSOFT water softner, and on the Hot water side, an AQUASTAR on demand hot water system. I...

View more questions Search