Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dawn92 Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Jan 25, 2008, 07:51 PM
    How do you tie thick hemp?
    I make myself hemp necklaces. Usually I just make thin ones, but I really like the thick ones. However, when I tried to tie the hemp off, the hemp strands were too thick and wouldn't stay in a knot. I looked on the web but no one said anything. Does anyone know how to FINISH off a thick hemp necklace/bracelet/anklet??

:confused:
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2008, 08:20 PM
    I've done a lot of knitting in my day and hemp is nothing more than a thick piece of yarn to me. May I suggest doing what I do with a knitting project? Leave about 10" length at the end of your project. Take this "end" and rework it back through the piece as deftly as you can for about 3" to 4" and cut it off. Your project should stay put. That's how I used to finish off necklaces I would make also.

Jan 25, 2008, 08:42 PM
    But I just need to tie it off. Is there any way to make a knot at the end?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Just a regular double knot at the end would be okay. I've done that and it works OK.
    tnt76 Posts: 16, Reputation: 5

Feb 2, 2008, 09:45 PM
    You could try using a small dot of glue - like superglue to hold the knot after you tie it. I make a lot of things using silky-type ribbon which also doesn't hold a knot, and I use a product called Fraycheck. You can find it in any craft store that has fabric. It is designed to stop fabric from fraying, but it works great as a knot holder. The great thing about this product is that it isn't sticky - it's more like a watery substance, but it dries really strong. It might even work for your hemp knots. :) Hope that works out for you.

Feb 4, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Oh, okay. I'll try that. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer tie in [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone give me info on septic tie in from an existing septic tank to town sewer system

Warped hemp [ 1 Answers ]

I make hemp bracelets, but the only problem is that any dye in the hemp comes out when they get repeatedly wet, and they also stretch and fall apart after so long. What can I do, other than take them off before every shower, to save them? Maybe I can waterproof them? Somehow?

Garage Tie-in [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new garage addition that is going to tie in perpendicular to the existing house. I swiped the following photo from another question on this site; my apologies to the original poster. In the picture, imagine that a garage would protrude forward from the right side of the picture. The left...

New tub tie in [ 6 Answers ]

Hi All, New to the plumbing stuff, I'm trying to learn if we can tie in our new tub into the existing plumbing in our basement bathroom. Toilet and sink are already set. We have built a structure above the slab for the tub as a drop in (drain comes over just below where the sink joins.). Can...

View more questions Search