Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Jan 25, 2008, 06:51 PM
    Outliers and stats
    I'm trying to do my stats homework and was wondering if anyone can help explain outliers are? I mean I get what they are but when given a set of numbers I can't figure out how to tell if a # is an outlier using the IQR.

I'm really confused!
    PolluxCastor Posts: 117, Reputation: 5

Jan 25, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Outliers are data that lies far out of the area most of the rest of the data is in.

Sometimes you can explain why the data point. If you were trying to measure the sound from the insects in the trees and a car horn honked, you could reasonably exclude that data as an outlier. But you might also want to exclude a data point that is 10 Standard deviations from your mean. Just don't delete so many points it invalidates what you are doing.

I'll quit here, as I think I have answered your question. Ask again if it is still unclear.

Also see:
    Outliers
    Math Forum - Ask Dr. Math
    tbt_2012 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2011, 12:40 PM
    How do you compute the them?
    PolluxCastor Posts: 117, Reputation: 5

Aug 22, 2011, 04:34 PM
    @tbt_2012: I really need a little information about your statistics knowledge level before I can give a reasonable answer.

But I'll try anyway. First you need to calculate the standard deviation and the mean of your data. Then decide how many standard deviations to call an outlier.

An example could be you want to determine the height statistics for Kindergartners. You assign someone to measure everyone in a group of 5 Kindergartens. However the person misunderstood and also included the teachers height in the data. On examining the data you find there is 2 distinct groupings, one around 39"-46" the other is a small grouping at 60"-68".
    pooyou Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2012, 04:17 AM
    Lol
    pooyou Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2012, 04:18 AM
    Dumbo, u don't even know what an outlier is. Prob some dumb blonde. UR SO DUMB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stats question [ 6 Answers ]

I'm trying to figure out a problem in stats where you can find the probability of a deck of cards. Specifically, a deck of 52 cards, 13 hearts, diamonds, clovers, and spades. The first pic would be a heart. So what is the probably of the second pick being a diamond, clover, or a spade?

2 old T-stats into 1 new digital one. [ 2 Answers ]

I have two thermostats in an old rancher. One is a older model Bard T87F (before Honeywell put their name on it) which only controls the 26vac tank less oil burning heater with just a red and white wires. The second is also a Honeywell T87F wired with green, white, yellow and red wires and...

Stats [ 2 Answers ]

I do stats for our softball team, here's my ? Bases are loaded and the pitcher walks the batter, does the batter get credit for a RBI?

Baseball stats [ 6 Answers ]

1. Can bases on balls disrupt a consecutive game hitting streak? 2. What was the record for bases on balls in a season prior to 1960?

View more questions Search