Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harley38 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 05:13 PM
    5 year old daschund has lost use of rear legs
    We took him to the vet, they say he has a slipped disc and want to do a $2500 operation. Is there any other alternative?
    Thanks
    Ron & Harley
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Jan 25, 2008, 05:27 PM
    I would consider getting a 2nd opinion, same as you would a person. My friend's dog had a problem with a disc and he did have to get the surgery.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Unfortunately, back problems are commonplace genetic issues with doxies bred in the U.S. and more often than not, surgery is required. Getting a second opinion as Peggy suggests, is always a good idea. If surgery is necessary, ask friends, family, neighbors, co-workers about their own vet recommendation and start doing some checking around on pricing. You might find another good vet who will do the surgery at a lower cost. If the vet hasn't mentioned this, keeping your dog very trim helps alleviate the pressure placed on the spine, although it doesn't mean that you will be able to avoid the surgery issue. But going forward, it will help aid your dog in the recovery process and is the best thing you can do to help him avoid further complications or more surgeries as he ages. I am so sorry your dog is going through this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I lost the love I felt, I lost the only thing that ever matterd [ 24 Answers ]

Wow I shouldn't even be feeling pain like this, I am so use to it! Anyway it all started 15 months ago and like a lot of heart ache and problems it started with a girl. We hooked up at a bar but I knew her before hand. She use to be with a guy I knew back in high school and since I line in such a...

Lost dad and even more lost daughter. [ 4 Answers ]

Someone please help? I have a 22 year old daughter who last year at this time received a DUI after a nights full of partying. This happened one week before her 21st surprise birthday party. Which of course did not happen due to the fact her DUI violation was issued after she rolled her friends car...

Rear Ended Someone [ 19 Answers ]

Okay so here is the story: I rearended someone. It was my fault, I was texting. We both pulled over and decided it was too minor to exchange insurance information. I had a dented license plate, she had nothing, I mean nothing. Can she later on change her mind, and tell her insurance...

Rear defogger [ 1 Answers ]

My rear defogger on my 91 accord won't work @ all! She used to only defrost 1/2 of the back window, now nothing. Could someone please help me, it's getting close to that chilly time of the year.

View more questions Search