Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guitarlisa Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Fluorescent fixture problems
    I have a fluorescent over head fixture that doesn't work properly. It takes a long long time to start (like 10 minutes, sometimes). However if I fiddle with the lamps it will start up, and if I have it on for a while, I can turn it off and immediately back on. I don't know if the fixture is bad or if I have the wrong kind of lamps.I noticed it has stamped on the fixture " for rapid start lamps only". Could this be my problem? The lamps that are in it now (they were there when I bought the house recently) do not SAY rapid start. Also is it possible that they should be the skinny style lamps vs the wide style?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2008, 05:13 PM
    More than likely the bulbs are the wrong type.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Check the T8 and T12 value, and the lamp wattage of both ballast and lamp to be sure both match.

As long as the socket fits the lamp pins, the rapid start is covered.

Fluorescent fixtures/lamps need a good equipment ground for starting purposes, so be sure to check the grounding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fluorescent bulbs on dimmer? [ 13 Answers ]

I put 11 recessed can lights in my new kitchen. They work great, but obviously they draw a lot of power (they're each 100w). Are there any fluorescent bulbs out there that will work well on a dimmer? I tried the standard type that I've replaced other bulbs with, but they flicker when the dimmer...

Fluorescent lamp vs ballast [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fluorescent ceiling fixture with two circular lamps and two separate ballasts. One of the lamps is not longer lighting. Is there any way to determine which element (lamp or ballast) is defective? I have used a continuity tester to check out incandescent lamps but am not sure how to do...

Fluorescent bulb life [ 10 Answers ]

I recently remodeled my basement into an office and I installed nine new fluorescent fixtures in the ceiling. They are your basic two bulb (@ 48 inches long) hanging shop lights. I purchased all new bulbs ( GE kitchen & bath F40T12). The package states that they should last 9 years (six hours per...

Hanging Fluorescent lights [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased (6) 4'x1' t8 fluorescent lights for an unfinished storage room. My questions is am I best installing these lights directly parallel to the floor joists, or perpendicular to the joists. In my particular application I would prefer to hang the lights parallel to the joists. My...

Fluorescent dimmer [ 1 Answers ]

I've heard that dimmer switches should not be used with fluorescent lights (kitchen). True or not? I haven't found anything in the books that I have. Are there dimmer switches made just for fluorescents? Thanks for the help. Jersey

View more questions Search