Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhouse30 Posts: 306, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Carpet seam showing
    I had carpet laid about 9 months ago. There is a seam showing. I thought the guy would come back are fix it but he never did.

I believe it will be hard to get anyone to come for that.

Is there anything I can do myself.

I believe the reason why the seam is showing is because he didn't heat the seam long enough because he blew a fuse when using his tool for heating the seam.

Any tips will be appreciated.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2008, 03:56 PM
    You can try heating this area with your household iron, but it would have to be done from the wrong side of the carpeting to be effective. You could try it from the front or right side of the carpet but you'll have to put something between the iron and the carpet - like a heavy piece of paper like a brown shopping bag. Hold the iron down as hard as you can on the surface and then slowly move the iron around for about 2-3 minutes. That just may solve your problem. If it doesn't solve it - keep calling the company who originally put the carpet down for you and insist they come back and finish the job.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Jan 25, 2008, 09:41 PM
    What type of carpet is it (plush, shag,berber etc). Where is the seam in door way or is it joining to pieces of a room together. AlsoI would be able to advise you better if you could post a couple of pics. It could be an installation problem as you stated or it could be a carpet that's just difficult to hide seams in. The shorter the nap and tighter the weave the more readily seams show. Cross cuts on berbers can be difficult as well. Post some pics if you can and Ill try to help. If you can't post pics then tell me as best you can what causes the seam to show( separating, strings sticking up, etc)
    Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14

Jan 26, 2008, 10:35 AM
    I'd be real hesitant to try using a household iron for this... by the time the iron's hot enough to melt the glue you may have already melted the face pile. In general, installers will warrant the seams to hold, they will NOT assure complete invisibility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

She don't seem to appreciate me, why? [ 22 Answers ]

I've been with my girlfriend for a wile now I love her very much but latly we have been having problems she don't want to have sex any more she never calls or text me I have to do it first and she don't seem like she cares any more and I was just wondering if there was a reason for this or am I...

Hdd not showing in disk management but showing in device manager [ 1 Answers ]

I have my friend's hdd which crashed few daz ago then I connected it to my PC as slave but now its in the device manager and bios though not showing in MY COMPUTER,DISK MANAGEMENT.. help

Charged for carpet replacement, carpet was not damaged [ 4 Answers ]

I moved out of an apartment and was charged $569.06 to replace the carpet. There was one stain, approximately 12x12 that I agreed was damaged. When I moved out, the Apartment Manager alleged, in writing, that I had a pet. I did not have a pet. I am an 18 year Flight Attendant and literally...

Paneling Seam Tape [ 2 Answers ]

I have put up some new paneling and most of it looks really good, but there are a few seams that show up. My brother told me about using seam tape that matches my paneling, I cannot find this, Lowe's & home depot thought I was on drugs when I asked. Can any one point me to a website or a store that...

View more questions Search