Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dkassurant Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 12:39 PM
    L1 in US with family for 5 months now, taxable marital status - single!
    Hi

I am on L1 visa in milwaukee, WI. I came here from INDIA in August 2007 along with my wife and baby on L2. My marital status in pay slips from my employer show as 'single' as they say it requires minimum 181 days stay to change it. During these 5 months, my taxes have been deducted as 'single' even though I was here with my wife and baby as dependants.

My W2 form is now available and have to file returns now.

1) Will I be eligible for any refunds from tax returns? What about tax already deducted?
    Please recommend appropriate method of filing returns.

2) Do I need to file returns for my wife who does not work and does not have a SSN/ITIN.

3) My wife and baby accompanied me here for 5 months and have gone back to india in Jan 2008 - for some time due to a medical urgency in family. They might come back in a month or so... But, they may not be available now to get ITIN when I have to file returns. Can this create any issue in filing returns? Does having them here in US at the time of filing returns makes any difference in getting refunds?

Please suggest...
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2008, 08:27 PM
    1) You can file JOINTLY with your wife and claim your child as a dependent IF you are going to be here through May 2008. You must WAIT undtil then to file under the First Year Choice program, but the tax benefits (three tax exemptions of $3,400 each, a $1,000 Child Tax Credit, a standard deduction of $10,700) are worth waiting for.

2) You will have to submit Form W-7 for your wife and child to get them ITINs. You can try to get ITINs issued at the local IRS office, but not EVERY IRS office offers this service.

3) Not a problem, as you must wait until late May 2008 to file in any event.
    dkassurant Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Thanks very much for the info - I really appreciate that!

Can you please clarify further on these points...

1) Yes, I might be here through may. Can you please explain the "May 2008" factor for me
    I understand that the last date of filing returns is April 15th. Please give more details...

2) Can I get the ITINs issued [using W7] while they are not in US? I do have some of their original documents [academic/marriage certificates of wife and birth certificate of child] --BUT not the original passports. (I have copies though)

3) For filing JOINTLY under first year choice program, does my wife and baby need to complete 181 days of US stay by may 2008? What if they could not come back by may?

I really appreciate your help and look forward for your detailed answers - hence a definite tip ;-)

Thanks,
    Dinesh.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Dinesh:

1) You MUST meet the Substantial Presence Test (SPT) before you can file as a resident alien under First Year Choice. That is 183 days, and you can count only ONE day in THREE from 2007.

Assuming you arrived on 16 August 2007, that means you get one-third of 117 days, or 39 days. For 1 Jan through 30 Apr 08, you get 121 days, so on 30 April 2008, you have met ONLY 160 days of the SPT. That means the EARLIEST you can file is 23 May 2008.

2) The notarized passport photocopy is the preferred document, because that document BY ITSELF is all that is needed. Other ID documents are allowed (the list is on page 2 of the W-7 instructions), but you need at least two for each applicant and at least one MUST be a picture ID for your wife (not required for the child). Go to Internal Revenue Service to download the W-7 and its instructions.

The problem is that, even though the W-7 instructions CLEARLY says that passport photocopies that are certified by the Indian givernemt are acceptable, the ITIN Processing Center in Austin, Texas HAS REJECTED such certified documents in 2007 for the 2006 tax returns. For this reason, I advise clients in India to get the photocopies notarized/certified at either the U.S. embassy or at a U.S. consulate office. That CAN be difficult and it is my understanding that the U.S. consulate now CHARGES for the certification process.

Of course, you can submit your wife's and child's actual passport (with the IRS assurance that it will be returned to you), but later in the instructions the IRS states as a TIP:

To avoid any loss of your documents, it is suggested that you do not submit the original documentation.

I read that to mean: "WARNING - We MAY lose your passport if you send it to us!"

3) No; only YOU have to meet SPT.
    WAIndian Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 12:53 AM
    Hi,

I'm also on L1 since October 26, 2007. Also, in Jan 2008 I was in a short trip to India (went alone) for 10 days. So, In my case

1. Will this 10 days be counted in 183 days.

2. When is the earliest I can file returns to claim tax credits and standard dedcution for me, spouse and 2 kids (6ys and 1 yr).

3. Do I need to get ITIN for both the kids (even for infant).

I would appreciate information on these aspects.

Regards
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 12:42 PM
    1) No. Add 5 days to the end; you get a 5-day grace period.

2) You can file no earlier than 14 June 2008.

3) Yes, submit Form W-7 for your wife and both children.

If you need professional help, contact me at the email address below.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marital status conflict in W2 [ 1 Answers ]

Hii My marital status in W2 is Single I came to usa on L1 in 2006 oct and my wife joined me in Nov 2006, Using taxactonline I have filed my tax selecting single as marital status. Is this wrong? Do I need to file the tax again? Thanks Anuj

How to change the Taxable Marital Status in W-2 (from MARRIED to SINGLE)? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Friend, Thanks for looking into my query. Your help is much appreicated. I came to US on Jan 2006. I was married but my family didn't came with me (joined w/ me this Feb 2007) and I remember that I filed the W-4 with the marital status MARRIED. Now when I tried to file the tax online (w/...

Marital status conflict in W2 [ 1 Answers ]

I was in US for complete 2006 on L1. My family joined me in between for 3 months on L2 visa. I want to file tax jointly. But marital status in W2 is SINGLE. It may not be possible for the employer to change the W2 form since it is already too late. Can I still file TAX jointly? Please suggest...

On Tax Marital Status. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello AMHD, I am married and have a kid of one year old. I came to US on Aug 2005 on H1 visa. My family got their H4 visa's on Dec 2005 and they came to US on Feb 2006. Now my question is What is My Tax Marital Status? Can I claim my wife and kid are dependent on me? Thanks Pro

What will be my taxable marital status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am married 2 yrs back.I am living in usa since may'2005 along with my wife.I have received my w2 form where it has been stated as Single.I have asked my employer to change that and sent them a new w4 form.My wife does not have any income and she does not have any social security number...

View more questions Search