Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ForLuna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 09:37 AM
    Is she okay.
    :confused: I have a little blue pit and her name is Luna, about 6mnths... weights about 35lbs.. I'm worry about her weight? She sees her doc almost every month and her doc says she's looks fine but when I compare her to her bros and sis she's a lot smaller... She's tall but not as thick or does not look as full? I'm thinking she's underweight for her age and breed? You can Sometimes see her ribs... please Help... I feed her eukanuba but just change her to science diet for pups... My sister told me to try Proplan? Or do I just need Supplements for her? Any help is appricate... Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2008, 01:06 PM
    Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest.
    You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is
    Different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog
    Must have its food adjusted to its individual needs. Here is a link to a good illustrated guide,
    http://www.longliveyourdog.com/twoplus/RateYourDog.aspx

Dogs out of a litter aren't peas in a pod. Some will always be bigger or smaller. You want to concentrate on keeping her near ideal body condition as in the link I gave you. If her ribs show a little, feed her a little more if she will eat it. If not, until the vet suggests a remedy, you don't have a problem. Don't keep switching chows. Check the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171
    The Shepherd I mention in it was eating Pro Plan. The more different chows a dog eats when it is young, the harder it is to work around it if they develop food allergies later.

Any of those chows you mention are fine and provide a better diet without suppliments than with.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2008, 05:57 AM
    As labman mentions, forget about supplements. Any of those chows are very good and provide a good balance of vitamins and minerals.

Forluna, if your vet says the dog is fine, don't question the vet. Genetics allow for variations in size and weight. How many human brothers and sisters do you see that are of differing builds and heights? At 6 months old, 35 lbs is very much within the normal weight range. I have seen full grown pits range from 20 lbs to over 100 lbs. Mine was 28 lbs at 6 months old. She is now a 60 lb adult. She has spindley legs and very petite paws. She isn't show quality but she is healthy. The most important thing at this point in time is to ensure you are doing everything you can to train her to become a good canine citizen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search