Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tercarney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 09:28 AM
    Dogs That Urinate In Their Sleep
    Hi,
    I have a 6 month old Boxer named Lola who has a bit of a problem. Lola has always had problems holding her bladder, she was constantly peeing in her crate when I first brought her home about 4 months ago. I was told that puppies will not go to the bathroom on their bedding so I bought her a smaller crate so that there wasn't any extra room for her to have an accident anywhere else then on her bed. I began to cut her off from water at night around 7:00/7:30 and took her out to go potty often. She was recently diagnosed as having E-coli by her Vet and is now on antibotics to clear that up.
    Lola typically sleeps with me in bed at night; however, on three separate occations, including last night, Lola will uninate in her sleep... and will not wake up while she is doing it. It is I who discover it when I wake up do to the wet feeling. She still wouldn't wake up if I didn't get her up to take her out and clean up. The poor thing doesn't even know what is going on. I am beginning to worry that something is very wrong with her. I have taken her to the Vets on numerous occasions in regards to this matter as well as for her regular check-ups. The Vet has done blood and urine tests and that's how he found the e-coli. Does anyone elses' dog have this problem or have any recommendations on what I should do? Please let me know.
    Thank you very much!
    onexmadxdisaster Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tercarney
    Hi,
    I have a 6 month old Boxer named Lola who has a bit of a problem. Lola has always had problems holding her bladder, she was constantly peeing in her crate when I first brought her home about 4 months ago. I was told that puppies will not go to the bathroom on their bedding so I bought her a smaller crate so that there wasn't any extra room for her to have an accident anywhere else then on her bed. I began to cut her off from water at night around 7:00/7:30 and took her out to go potty often. She was recently diagnosed as having E-coli by her Vet and is now on antibotics to clear that up.
    Lola typically sleeps with me in bed at night; however, on three seperate occations, including last night, Lola will uninate in her sleep...and will not wake up while she is doing it. It is I who discover it when I wake up do to the wet feeling. She still wouldn't wake up if I didn't get her up to take her out and clean up. The poor thing doesn't even know what is going on. I am begining to worry that somthing is very wrong with her. I have taken her to the Vets on numerous occasions in regards to this matter as well as for her regular check-ups. The Vet has done blood and urine tests and that's how he found the e-coli. Does anyone elses' dog have this problem or have any reccomendations on what I should do? Please let me know.
    Thank you very much!
    Test her for diabetes. If she pees frequently, is thirsty, or is losing hair she might have diabetes. I just found out my dog has diabetes, though he did not pee in his sleep, he woke up and went somewhere within the house. Otherwise it could just be a weak bladder, or a bladder infection.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2008, 06:27 AM
    Your dog is still young and may not have gained full control over her bladder. There are many reasons a dog has incontinence problems, and yes, diabetes is one of them as the poster above has mentioned. If the medication she is on doesn't eventually resolve this problem, ask your vet to do a full work up on the bladder and kidney functions. Urinary incontinence could be caused by a weakening of the muscle that controls the flow of urine, a genetic (birth) defect, urinary tract infection, or neurologic disease. Usually, urinary incontinence can be controlled by long term drug therapy. If you feel the vet isn't doing everything he/she can to diagnose the problem, I would suggest seeking out another vet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why would I sleep walk up 10 bunks and open someone's bag and urinate in it and leave [ 5 Answers ]

Apparently at about 3 or 4 in the morning every since I was kid, sometimes I'll get up and sleepwalk to certain places and obviously I think it's a toilet, and I don't know why. I walked up 10 bugs while I was at drill, and opened one of my Sgt's bags and began to urinate in it. When he woked up...

MY dog has been urinate on people! [ 3 Answers ]

My little buddy Tank, a 135 lb eight month old Bullmastiff, has been going to local dog park for four months. His park visits are to help with socializing with other dogs and people. However, Tank has been trying to urinate on the people just standing around. This behavior started about two week...

Stabbing pain when I urinate [ 6 Answers ]

I just went to the restroom to urinate and had some sharp stabbing pain on my left side. Should I be concerned?

This frequent urge to urinate [ 2 Answers ]

On January 18th 2007 I was stuck in a situation I could not get out of . I had to hold my urine. For a long time. Like 2 hours. The last hour was hard, the last 30 minutes was very painful. Since then I have had this frequent urge to urinate. Sometimes I would urinate 10-15 times a day. I have...

Urinate after mastrubation [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, Iam 30yrs old and unmarried. The day on which I mastrubate, I tend to urinate a lot.

View more questions Search