Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmarigoni Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Desired salary on job application.
    The question on every job application : Desired Salary. What is the correct answer? Should you leave it blank, suggest that you are "open to negotiation"? Answer with what you feel you are worth, or what the job is worth? I've never known proper etiquette for this.. any ideas?
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Jan 25, 2008, 09:37 AM
    I hate that question. You feel always feel if you put too high you won't get a call back and if you put to low you feel you got suckered once you find out how much everyone else makes. I prefer to call the hiring manager and ask what the salary range is that they are willing to pay and then put something in that range if I still want it for that range. If I can't find out the range I put 10% over what I ideally want for the job. Of course I've also applied for things I wasn't interested in and told them what I thought was an insane salary range and still gotten call backs so its hard to say.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2008, 10:28 AM
    I have always left it blank or just put open for discussion. Never had a problem on doing that.
    Alkali Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 10:01 PM
    My rule of thumb is don't apply for a job you really don't want. Then on the application take the minimum amount you'd be willing to take (probably low because you found a job you really want) then ask for 15-20% more.

They'll want to knock your number down and they'll feel happy when they do. You'll be happy because you didn't go over the top and got the job you wanted.

If you give a number too low then they might not consider you or put you in a lower position with little room to advance. Too high no consideration. No number then they start at their wage and you have to negotiate upward. The last choice is the option of many... but I'm not that good at negotiating.
    happy711 Posts: 215, Reputation: 4

Feb 4, 2008, 05:59 PM
    I learned about this is school. The teacher told us to always put negotiable.
    wewed100606 Posts: 228, Reputation: 36

Feb 4, 2008, 06:04 PM
    I would recommend happy711's answer. Negotiable or Open are good answers that never backfire... that is unless the person hiring you is a lot better at negotiating than you :-)
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Feb 4, 2008, 09:39 PM
    I agree that Open or Negotiable are good answers if you can use them on a form... if you're applying online, many sites these days require you to enter a numeric salary requirement or select a range from a list. I find Salary.com useful in those situations (for jobs in the USA), since you can enter the job title and your zip code and it will return a salary distribution curve. Specifying a salary near the mean for your area is a safe bet in most cases (go low if you have little experience, go high if you have a lot of experience or special skills).
    one40 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Oct 30, 2008, 07:01 AM

What should be my answer for this. Desired salary?
    one40 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Oct 30, 2008, 07:05 AM
    What should I put on my application. For this,desired salary.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Oct 30, 2008, 07:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by one40 View Post
    what should i put on my application. for this,desired salary.
    See answers above.
    cestbienca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2010, 11:26 AM
    Where should I write that salary desired on the Cover letter or on my resume?
    whiteda2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2010, 10:23 AM
    I once put "$1,000,000" as my answer. Of course, I already HAD that job. I was just temorarily filling in for my dad. I don't know how an employer would take that answer. Maybe the employer will think you're a goof-off and not call. Maybe the employer will think you're ambitious and call you. I've been with my employer for 8 years now, and I put "negotiable" on my application.
    flipsider Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2011, 03:40 PM
    When they ask me about this, I answered them with what I was receiving with my last employer. I immediately got the job. It all depends on the company that you have applied if they are as big as your previous employer. The bigger the company the bigger salary range they give.
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2011, 10:06 AM

You should research the job you are applying for and the company you are applying at to determine what range the job salary range is at that company. For example if the company range is $40,000 to 50,000 a year and you say you want $75,000 a year you will not get the job. You need a good idea of what the company will pay before you can say how much salary you want. If you say you want more than the company will pay you will not get hired. Also if you say you want less than th company pays you will not be getting market value for your salaray. You just have to be realistic in your salary range to give you the best opportunity to get the job you are applying for.
    rcvfl_08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2011, 12:28 PM
    I know the best answer is "negotiable" but half the time it doesn't give you that option.. you have to select from the options which are numbers ranged from a certain amount!. :/
    Big_Moolah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2011, 06:51 AM
    I always put six billion dollars... could be why Im just a manager at Kmart though lol...
    ELLE143 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2012, 02:06 PM
    What about when entering an online application that requires a $ amt? You know the ones with the little star that doesn't let you move fwd with out an actual amt...
    margie574 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2012, 09:46 AM
    I put negotiable, the hourly rate that I want or I have right now but still cannot go through the application. Always says the desired pay contains an invalid value. I don't know what they wants to hear from me...
    margie574 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2012, 09:49 AM
    I also leave it blank but it says its mandatory lol...
    AnaNguyen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2012, 02:59 PM
    On my job appplication I have to pick a number 10,000 and up. I don't Know what to put?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Heating turns itself off before reaching desired temp [ 9 Answers ]

Background: I have an older Trane furnace (manufactured 8/1994) made by American Furnace Inc. (The Trane Company, Trenton, NJ) model TUJ080A936A0. The module controller is by White-Rodgers Emerson Electric Co. Model 50A52-101. There is no gas pilot light. Problem: Recently, my gas valve will...

House won't warm to desired heat [ 3 Answers ]

We have our thermostat set at 75 degrees (higher than we would normally set it) and it will not get above 65 degrees on the main floor and yet the upstairs is about 85 degrees. We do have a lot of windows on both floors, but most of them have some sort of window treatments covering them once the...

Application to accelerate & application to revoke [ 14 Answers ]

Application to accelerate and application to revoke? What are the different. :cool:

Salary vs Hourly, punching a clock on salary. [ 2 Answers ]

My company put me on salary a few years back. I still have to work overtime and I still have to punch a time card, I just dont get paid for any overtime hours. Also I have not gotten the standard raise that I used to get anymore. I was wondering is this fair practice?

Resume needed if I am filling in a job application? [ 2 Answers ]

Do I need to write a resume too if I am filling in a job application?

View more questions Search