Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DebbieSS Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 09:39 PM
    Older dog health
    If a dog that is 13 and 1/2 years old stops eating for 5 days, then regains eating, was he in pain during the time he didn't eat? If he were ready to die, would he lose his personality first and become lethargic? Background: dog is a mixed breed of a sheltie, beagle and border collie. Weight about 15 lbs. no history of health issues
    azdesertchick Posts: 92, Reputation: 17

Jan 25, 2008, 03:50 PM
    I've had dogs all my life and have lost a few to old age it's hard and very sad. They're members of my family and missed dearly. Because your dog is older I'm sure it's on your mind but it could have been something as simple as a viral infection of some sort or maybe because your dog is getting older it may have oral issues. Do you feed the dog kibble or soft food? Just curious to know a bit more about the background of what you've noticed lately besides the eating if anything.

Jan 25, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Thanks for your response azdesertchick. We have always fed Oreo Nature's Recipe which is a hard small pellet sized food. He has never had table scraps or any other brand of food. His teeth were professionally cleaned at the vet in the summer of '07, so I don't suspect any oral issues. He has not lost any teeth and his gums do not appear inflamed. We have noticed many other behavioral differences in Oreo in recent months. His balance seems to be off a little, as he will sort of fall off the curb if he is trying to walk down it. He tends to try to rear back and get a running start to get up our 5 outside brick steps, and sometimes stumbles up or down them. He is moving much slower than he used to, and sometimes doesn't appear to hear us telling him to "come" etc. Most of these behavioral issues I chalked up to getting older. One other symptom he had, was extremely loose stool, and multiple "accidents" all over the house for about a week. I, too, am starting to think that he had a bad virus. Yesterday when we got home at the end of the day, he had plenty of energy, jumped all over us, and wanted to play tug with one of his toys. We've been instructed to try to add some water to his food, making it kind of soupy, and see if that helps him eat. He didn't seem to want it tonight, but we'll try again tomorrow. I hope that gives you a little more background.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2008, 06:52 AM
    Debbie, you haven't mentioned if you have brought him to the vet for a check up. If not, it is time to get your dog in for a full health evaluation. It doesn't sound like he is having a dental issue. I have seen older dogs stop eating simply due to the pain arthritis causes, and simply placing them on the right medication gives them a new lease on life. Rimadyl is a medication that works well, among others. Your vet should do a full blood panel screening, along with testing his stool (and his urine if he is peeing a lot). He might simply be suffering intestinal tract issues/paratsites, such as whipworm or giardia. Whatever may be causing the diarrhea might also easily be corrected with the proper medication. The only way to know for certain what is going on with him is to get him into the vet's office for an assessment. Your dog could very well have a few more very good years left in him if he gets the proper medical treatment.

Jan 29, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Thanks for your response Ruby. Yes, I have had him to the vet twice, as well as speaking to the vet on the phone once every two weeks. I'll continue keeping a log on his eating, mood, etc. and will probably take him in again. As of right now, he is doing much better.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 04:53 AM
    Debbie, I am glad to hear that he is doing better and your vet is working with you on this. Did he mention anything about the possibility of a minor stroke? Strokes that occur in animals aren't as devastating as they are in humans. Many times after a stroke, depending on the severity, within a few weeks to a few months, they can regain whatever loss of motor control has occurred. Keeping a log is a very good idea in addition to working closely with your vet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Marry older man?just a little older! [ 13 Answers ]

:confused: someone keep telling me that it is good for a girl marries a man who is a little older than her! Cause older man knows more how to take care of others,how to respect others... but for young men,what they care about is themselves only!Is that true?I was thinking about that for many...

Should I go for an older guy? [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, I'm a freshman but I'm realling liking this guy who's a junior and three years older than me. He's so nice and polite and completely my type. Not to be a narcissistic, but I think I'm a pretty girl-- I mean I have self confidence. I've been approached by a few older guys before but none...

How could I look and act older? [ 13 Answers ]

How do I look and act older, when I look young and my voice is young? No one takes me serious and I'm a cosmetologist, so clients are like your not old enough or say are you experience enough or your just so young looking. I've changed my hair completely, way shorter and way darker. We wear...

Know my career,my fathers health and my moms health [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am sonal,studying in t.y.bsc in microbiology. Usually attending college is like a burden for me,I fear a lot in public attention,sometimes even start shivering while giving presentations,due to fear I can't even concentrate in my studies and get poor marks even ,I don't feel like going to...

If your older sister dies are you now the older sister [ 1 Answers ]

The ? Is if your older sister or brother was to die does that make you the older brother or sister later on in life.

View more questions Search