Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helpmeugh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2006, 07:14 PM
    Help me compute US tax liaibility after foreign tax credit
    :eek: A us company Frank expand with a new co (Ana) formation into a foreign host company with a 20% tax on corporate income within its borders. At the end of its fourth yr of operations the foreign corp Ana distributes $100,000 to Frank from its earning and progits previously taxes by the host country. Under a favorable tax treaty, no taxes are withheld on the dividend payment. Frank has US taxable income of $400,000 from other sources. What is the amount of dividend income Frank must recognize as a result of this distribution as well as its US income tax liability after consideration of any foreign tax credit?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 11:13 PM
    If I may suggest you re-post this question in the TAX Forum, you might get more responses.
    xetxo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 08:14 PM
    I'm not entirely sure, looks like there's a lot of typos in the question. If you're getting too many typos you need to ask him to clairify the errors, and also request from the dean that a grad student go over all of this professor's work if it's really bad.

I'm working on similar problems right now (I think). This might be the answer, correct me if I'm wrong.

There is a 20% tax on income for 'ana.'

'Ana' transfers $100,000 of profits that have been taxed by the foreign gov.

Frank receives profits of $100,000 dividend income

Assuming the U.S. tax rate is 20% as well (which I believe should be given in the problem)

Frank recognizes only (100-20)% of the 100,000... = $80,000 and pays the other 20% in taxes to the U.S. gov.

BUT!

Your teacher said "no taxes are withheld on the dividend payment." I looked this up and concluded that the statement means...

"the U.S. does not take a cut of that dividend."

If this is true (and I'm not too sure about it) then,

Frank wouldn't be eligible for tax credits at all, would recognize all of the $100,000 dividend income, and recognize a income tax liability of $400,000

Is that a reasonable conclusion?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign currency [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I get a small amount of Italian currency for a gift in Denver,CO

Help please, I don't know how to compute [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I don't know if this is the right subject for this, but anyway, can please anyone help me to compute the weight in kilos or pounds of a plastic medicine bottle containing 30 capsules?thanks and id appreciate it a lot

USB Status: Foreign [ 1 Answers ]

I trying to use a HD in an external enclosure connected via USB. I get the message about new hareware and it 'sees it as a 'Maxtor 6 B250R0'. But It's available for my use. I see it in Device Manager. So under properties, volumes tab, I click on populate and comes back with a status of FOREIGN....

Foreign Tax Credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a GC holder and I lived in 2005 in the US but I got a small amount of wages and interest from a foreign country. I paid taxes on the foreign interest. It seems to be very difficult to fill out necessary forms. I don't know if I need to file the form 1116 to claim the foreign tax...

Foreign accounts [ 1 Answers ]

I do not understand the purpose of form 90-22.1 (foreign accounts). It says to report foreign accounts if their aggregate value is >$10,000 .( I have a GC, so I have to report my worldwide income ). But, in Schedule B for form 1040, one just mentions " yes, I do have a foreign bank account in a...

View more questions Search