Ask
    KevcoKDC Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 08:52 PM
    Pioneer subs
    What does the dual mean in front of the ohms? Like 1200 w dual 4 ohm sub
    bmarigoni Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 09:38 PM
    It means Dual Voice Coils. And this is what dual voice coils means:

Dual voice coil subwoofers are becoming a popular choice among car audio enthusiasts who want more flexibility in wiring their sound systems. While typical subwoofers have a single voice coil, dual voice coil (DVC) subwoofers use two separate voice coils, each with its own connections, mounted on one cylinder, connected to a common cone.

The key difference between single and dual voice coil subwoofers is the multiple wiring options DVC subs offer:

Parallel: A dual 4-ohm voice coil subwoofer with its coils wired in parallel presents a 2-ohm load to your amplifier. Since an amplifier produces more wattage at a lower impedance, the parallel connection ensures you'll get the most output from your amp. In the same fashion, if you have a stereo amplifier and two DVC subs, wire both subs for 2-ohm impedance (one per channel) for maximum output.
    Series: Series wiring lets you configure multiple woofers to one amplifier at an acceptable impedance. Wire both coils in series for an 8-ohm impedance, and then wire two 8-ohm subs together in parallel for 4-ohm total impedance (perfect for most 2-channel amps bridged to mono operation). Another example: if you have a high-powered 2-channel amplifier, wire four 8-ohm subs per channel (each channel sees a 2-ohm load).
    Independent: You can wire each voice coil to a separate channel of your amplifier, if you prefer not to bridge your amp. Independent wiring is a nice option if you're wiring two DVC subs to a 4-channel amplifier — one voice coil per channel.

DVCs and high-performance amplifiers
    Some amplifiers are designed with an unregulated power supply — these amps are favored by mobile audio competitors for their superior performance. An unregulated amp's power increases dramatically when it sees a lower impedance load. For example, an amplifier that produces 75 watts RMS x 2 channels at 4 ohms would double its power to 150 watts x 2 with a 2-ohm load. DVC subwoofers (particularly the dual 2-ohm models) give you the flexibility to wring every bit of power out of this type of amplifier.

Also, if you choose to add an unregulated amp as a power upgrade to your existing DVC subwoofer system, you can simply rewire your subs for optimum impedance. Remember that most car amps are stable down to 2 ohms in normal operation, and to 4 ohms in bridged mode. It's important to check your amp's manual for its operating parameters before hooking up a DVC sub wired for low impedance!

A DVC sub offers the same performance whether it's wired in series or parallel. Its power handling levels, frequency response, and other specifications do not change — the only difference is the impedance presented to the amplifier. As a result, you'll use the enclosure that's recommended for your sub, no matter how it's wired.

Jan 26, 2008, 08:01 AM
    So would I need a two channel amp for a dual 4 ohm sub?

Jan 26, 2008, 08:13 AM
    You can use any Amp to run it and it will sound fine. The part I posted was from Crutchfield. You will get a better sound from your sub if you are running it mono on a 2 channel amplifier. It will sound even better if you wire the dual voice coils in parallel. This will in effect show the amplifier a 2 ohm load from a 4 ohm speaker, and therefore effectively double the amplifier's output. 200 watt 4 ohm amplifier wired in parallel to push a 2 ohm load would push 400 watts to the speaker.

Be careful though, make sure that the amplifier is labeled "2 ohm stable" or something lower (some even go into decimals such as .5 ohm stable) because if it is only 4 ohm stable, you will end up blowing up the amp.

If you wire 2 of the subs you are talking about in parallel on the voice coils, and then parallel with each other, you will push a 1 ohm load on the amplifier, and a 200 watt amp in that situation would push approx 800 watts.

Hope that helps.

Jan 26, 2008, 08:18 AM
    Also, the 1200 watts that the speaker says, that is just the maximum peak wattage that the speaker can handle. It doesn't mean to put that much power to it. When you are playing music at loud volumes, the peak wattage will increase and decrease all of the time. The important numbers on speakers and amplifiers is actually the RMS wattage. This is the wattage that the speaker can handle at all times, and the amplifier will give output on average.

A 1200 watt amplifer may only have 400 watt RMS output, which means that it will effectively push 400 watts most of the time, but can peak at 1200 watts. Same goes with speakers. If you have a 1200 watt speaker, with a RMS capacity lower than that, pushing the max wattage to the speaker at all times will blow the speaker in a short period.

Jan 26, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Also would I have to get new speakers or can I use my stock ones?

And just to make sure,
    Would these work?
    Crunch PZi 1000.1 Amp: Mono
    And
    Audiobahn AW120T Subwoofers

Thanks a lot

Jan 27, 2008, 08:20 AM
    You can use your stock speakers that came with your car, but probably not with an amplifier (unless they are some of the Bose or Infinity speakers.. something high end like that). If they are the GM stock or whatever, they will work okay just running off the head unit.

You will, however, achieve a better quality sound if you get a 4 channel amp to push high and mids, with some new component speakers. This amp only needs to be 50x4 or something similar. You can get one with a built in x-over, but I have always thought it sounded much better with a stand-alone x-over.

Pushing 2 sub-woofers with all other stock components actually fried one head unit I was using. Even though your amp is pushing the power to the subs, the other speakers draw a lot from your head unit when listening at high volumes.

Jan 27, 2008, 04:18 PM
    I'm just using one sub and I don't feel like buying speakers so would that one sub blow my head unit?
    And would the sub and amp that I posted work?

Thanks

Jan 28, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Yeah the set up you posted will work fine.

Running any subwoofer with an amplifier should not affect your head unit, because with an amplifier, your head unit is just supplying a signal, not any power.

If you listen at high volumes often, just make sure that your head unit isn't getting extremelly hot to the touch. It may feel quite warm and that is normal, but if it gets really hot, you are in danger of burning it up. If that happens, you would most likely need to get another amplifier to run your other (component) speakers in your car.

Good luck

Jan 28, 2008, 04:22 PM
    And the last thing, will it sound like crap if I use my stock speakers?

Jan 30, 2008, 05:26 PM
    I'm sure it will sound fine.
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Feb 9, 2008, 10:01 PM
    Ok, I have read through the thread and a couple of thoughts. #1 Are you using your stock head unit?
    If you have an after market unit, the above info is solid and will point you in the right direction. Either way your stock speakers will result pretty much in exactly the same sound you have now, just with more bass due to the sub.
    The bigger issue is that most factory head units do not have pre-amp outputs which you really want if your using a sub with an amp. There are amps on the market with speaker level inputs (the one you list isn't one of them) that would be required unless you have speaker level to line level converter. -G
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Try your speakers. Can't hurt.
    Also if wiring 2 speakers in series, the plus of 1 speaker connectcs to the minus of the second speaker, Then you are left with a + and a -. This cuts the Impedance in half(2 4 0hm speakers in series wou have 8 ohm Impedance.
    For parallel, the plus from your amp goes to + of both speakers. The minus from the amp goes to both speaker minuses. 2 4 ohm speakers in parallel equals 2 ohms.
    Just for reference. Say you had 4 8 ohm speakers, and wanted to connect to 8 ohm amp.
    You would do Series/Parallel.
    2 8 ohm speakers in series would be 16 ohms, 2 more speakers in series equals 16 ohms, then parallel the 16 ohms gets you to 8 ohms impedance the amp will see.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is one of my subs blown [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a new amp for my 15s and it works great, maybe too good The max RMS on the subs are 500 4ohms and the amp is 900 so each sub is getting 450 at 2 ohms and 370 at 4 ohms I was just sitting around listing to my music and I wanted to get out and check my subs, so I truned down the...

Wiring dual 2 ohms subs to 4 ohm load [ 1 Answers ]

How do you wire dual 2 ohm subs to a 4 ohms load on a monoblock amp that is 2 ohm stable

I want subs/amps? I need help! =] [ 2 Answers ]

OK so heres the deal. I have a 2000 toyota corolla. but one problem... im electronically retarted. sooo if i want more bass... do i put in some subs or amps?? :confused: problly is a bad question but im not sure. like what do i need for this?! HELPPP ME!

View more questions Search