Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    domsmith Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Old thermostat wiring- C, H and V terminals
    I'm replacing an old General Controls T-90 thermostat (2 wire) with a new programmable thermostat in use with an old heat-only floor heater (no fan). The two wires coming from the wall are not color coded and I have not been able to track down the old terminal letter designators. The old unit has "C" "H" and "V" terminals with one wire connected to "H" and one to "V". I suppose one will go to "R" and one will go to "W". Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 24, 2008, 06:10 PM
    A new programmable thermostat may not work for you. In most cases you need a constant 24 volt hot leg which you do not have with a 2 wire. You might be able to get away with a battery operated unit.OR run a third wire.

Follow the new thermostat directions for hooking up to single stage heat only. The paperwork you have will show you where to land the two wires you have for heat only. Do not worry about the old thermostat and where the wires were.You only have 2 wires so it is just about impossible to make a mistake.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2008, 07:14 AM
    Obviously hvac1000 did not see that you have a FLOOR furnace and gave you bogus information. Because this is a floor furnace you have a millivolt system which means you need a millivolt thermostat and cannot or should not use a 24 volt thermostat, Good luck, Mike
    therinnaiguy Posts: 153, Reputation: 5

Jan 25, 2008, 07:41 AM
    Not all floor furnaces use a millivolt system. I suggest to test the contacts on the existing thermostat to see what the voltage is. 18-25 volts AC, listen to Hvac1000; different reading, listen to Acetc.
    domsmith Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 06:13 PM
    Thanks for the info guys. I purchased a battery operated Honeywell programmable (RTH2520B) and it works just fine. The directions were clear (Old "V" equals Rh and Old "H" equals W) making it a very simple hookup.

I haven't used the programming function yet, but with the digital temperature adjustment this is at least as good as the old one and looks much more updated.

Thanks again,

Dom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat Wiring - From Two to One Thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

Currently my central a/c unit is hooked up to a Honeywell CT3500 Programmable Thermostat. I've noticed that the thermostat can handle heat as well as cooling. My furnace is hooked-up to an older manual thermostat. It is a simple 2 wire set-up - red & white. Could the furnace be hooked-up to the...

How many terminals needed for Fluorescent dimmer [ 4 Answers ]

I am a mechanical engineer and going to design a electrical fluorescent dimmer. The problems what I need to know are 1) how many terminals needed? I know 3 terminals for dimmer power input (L, N, E) but don't know how many terminals for ballast (the ballast is still required for this dimmer) and...

Honeywell wiring different from old thermostat wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a non-programmable digital thermostat to replace an analog thermostat with wiring red, white yellow and black. How do I match the wiring? HELP!!

Thermostat Wiring [ 4 Answers ]

I am having similar thermostat problem as krich22774 had on 4/16. I installed the Honeywell RTH230B thermostat during the winter and the heat worked fine. Now when I turn on the A/C nothing happens. I have 5 wires coming from the wall. I started with the following setup: Rh-Red Rc-Blue...

Wiring the whole thermostat? [ 2 Answers ]

Without realizing what I did I removed the old manual thermostat, and paid no attention to the wires locations on the thermostat before doing so .so I'm stuck with two yellows one red one blue one green and a black wire that's not been used ? How do I determine which wire goes where?

View more questions Search