Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Cops - love 'em or hate 'em
    Hello:

In the world, there are two kinds of people. People who love cops, and people who've had a run in with them.

I'm interested in your opinion. When cops look out upon society, do they see citizens going about their business - or do they see law breakers that just haven't been caught yet?

excon
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2008, 05:36 PM
    excon I have had many feelings for cops.
    When I was a younger woman I was smitten by the uniform. Yummy. Yes, I dated a few cops :)
    As a young mother dropping her kids off at school and parking in the wrong spot... I hated them.
    As a aunt-in-law for a young Arabic man I learned that they could be quite prejudiced.. he got a ticket for not having his dog in a seat belt, among other instances. Pretty lily white community that I live in.. although it is beginning to change.

As a citizen where I live as an adult, I really have respect for the police force esp. with some of the crazys that they have to deal with. Are all of them great? No. But by the same token not all are rotten either.

Oh, to answer your question I think for the most part they see citizens going about their daily business unless they are shown otherwise.*edit I guess I'm sitting on the fence, depending on the situation I could fall either way.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2008, 10:58 AM
    I have seen good cops some that go out of their way to cut people a break even when they really shouldn't. I can count them on my fingers, but I appreciate them for being an example of what cops SHOULD be.

And I have seen cops that have a scum of the earth attitude towards others and I have seen cops that think they are above the law and treat people like they are criminals.
    I think it is getting worse because the newer cops seem to have a chip on their shoulder and think they have to act the way they do in order to prove themselves.
    Like I have said before I have heard of cops slamming kids having asthma attacks on the floor and elderly with health conditions against the wall and they were innocent bystanders

I have also seen cops get away with murder because of who they are

Sgt. Vojtas' return to Brentwood streets is a crime Voitas *killing* of Steelers Ray Seals cousin Johnny Gammage and Voitas' fiancée *supposed suicide 2 years before.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2008, 07:08 PM
    I've had many friends who were cops. DEA agents, FBI agents, US Marshals, State Troopers, County Deputies and city cops. My uncle was the Chief of Police. My father in law was a US Federal Marshal in charge of 7 states. My husband worked for "the company". It all depends on just how burnt out the officer is what his attitude towards society is. I've had hardnosed cops come to my door that have the amazing ability to see through walls and around corners falsely accusing my family of wrongdoing. I've been stopped going 96 MPH and given a verbal warning by a Fla Trooper. I've seen a lot of jerks wear a uniform. I've seen many men and women cry when in uniform. Sometimes the job just gets to them and they either quit and go on doing something else or they become jaded and mean and remain on the force.
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Jan 31, 2008, 07:20 AM
    Excon
    I had my far share of working with cops in my line of work. I have worked with the police in NorFolk, Va US. I have worked with a few in NB, Canada as well. I will say that I have never seen cops be judge mental to any normal person doing there normal things. But I will add that when you are costing a place and you noticed others going to that location you start to wonder. Plus you always have to have your guard up. It comes with the training.
    Don't get me wrong when I was a kid I did a few things I am ashamed to adamite and at that time I always thought cops where just looking for an excuse to bother you.
    What I am hinting at is they look at people as normal people just going at there normal day.
    This is a good question I would like to see more replies on this matter.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2008, 07:54 AM
    "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely" police officers are human and I believe that saying applies. It may be small corruption, like taking care of their Grandma's parking ticket, or taking care of drug dealers for a price. It's still corruption.
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Feb 9, 2008, 11:50 AM
    For the record id like to state that I've been arrested 5 times and dislike cops in general. That being said this is my opinion on the topic. Some cops are very respectful, even when they have you cuffed in the back of their squad car. They act like just about anyone else you could meet, they are friendly and treat you with respect. Unfortunately, cops like that are few and far between. What is even more unfortunate is that people in general like that in this world are few and far between. I don't think its being a cop that makes some cops such unpleasant individuals. Its being a human that does that.

Oh but I found out this neat magic trick to quit getting arrested... I quit committing crimes and haven't seen a cell in a very long time!
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 12:01 PM
    1) I LOVE cops... (and not for the uniform... ). Whenever we had to call an ambulance for a loved one the police were right there to help. I have only witnessed good things and I consider myself lucky as I am not so closed minded to think there are bad apples in that group as well.

When I see the police partrolling the streets... I think THANK YOU, and please continue to try and keep these streets safe and the roads free of those who had one too many.

When they see us? As long as we are doing nothing out of the ordianary, they probably don't even see us. I think there eyes are so trained to zero in on things going on that should not be.

Now with all that said, I have always told my husband, if I was ever pulled over... I think I would run the car right off the road from sheer nerves... not sure why that is...

But I am very grateful to them and when I see them I do feel safer. I wouldn't want their job for nothing.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Ok, I live in wonderland, excon, and believe that the police are looking out for the better good of the community and look upon people as citizens they have sworn to protect. On the average, that is. For the most part. That is...

Until you happen to be one of the unfortunate who have had a run-in with the law and become the target for every piece of dirt that happens. That happened to my oldest brother. Now I know he had his share of scrapes and deserved jail time (he sold drugs and bought booze for minors, as well as DUI). But the police came after him for everything that happened, no matter. Once they went to arrest him for a robbery of the local Greyhound depot (in my hometown). A witness even said it was my brother. Funny thing, he was 135 miles away, visiting his sister (me) and my husband and brand new son. He had come down that Thursday evening and stayed until Sunday after dinner. The robbery took place on a Friday night at 9:30 p.m. As Sgt. Schulz used to say, "I wasn't thereeeeeee." And he wasn't.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 12:07 PM
    If a tree falls in the woods on shcrodengers cat and no one is around to observe it, is the cat alive or dead?
    Interinfinity two things, 1 who is shcrodengers? 2. congrats on staying out of trouble.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Just for you, bushg.

Name:  cat.gif
Views: 445
Size:  10.4 KB
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 12:43 PM
    I love them when I need them, hate them, when they show up, UNINVITED!
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    I love em when I need em, hate em, when they show up, UNINVITED!!

Well said Tal.

I would loose my heart if ever pulled over... I have to get over that somehow. Even when they are behind me, my heart picks up speed (better then my car I guess :p )

I think it's because I just got my license a couple of years ago (bit of a late bloomer)
    wewed100606 Posts: 228, Reputation: 36

Feb 9, 2008, 12:58 PM
    Don't know if this has been said, but I think the simple answer to this questions is... cops are people (human) and each one is unique. You cannot ask such a general question, to put any body in that broad of a group is stereotyping. No different than asking what your opinion of doctors, or teachers, or white people for that matter.

You like some people... you don't like others.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wewed100606
    Don't know if this has been said, but I think the simple answer to this questions is...cops are people (human) and each one is unique. You cannot ask such a general question, to put any body in that broad of a group is stereotyping. No different than asking what your opinion of doctors, or teachers, or white people for that matter.

You like some people...you don't like others.

Actually excon's original question was:

I'm interested in your opinion. When cops look out upon society, do they see citizens going about their business - or do they see law breakers that just haven't been caught yet?

So I fear I may have answered in the wrong direction. I actually love this topic and find the different experiences very interesting.

So, Ex was just asking for our opinion... as stated above.
    wewed100606 Posts: 228, Reputation: 36

Feb 9, 2008, 01:06 PM
    Thanks Allheart...

In that case, I think once again they are human. They know that there are very few people out there who never break a law... just as we all know that. Whether that affects how they view society as a whole... I don't know.

I guess it is no different than a photographer walking through the world and stopping because they see a photo opp.

I think our professions predispose us all to certain thought processes and preconceptions.

For the most part I think a lot of cops can leave their work at work.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 02:01 PM
    I bet they see a lot of things that stays with them a long time though, so they have to be a little above normal to handle that crap. I couldn't be one, for sure. I mean, how do you go home and act normal, after a car collision, with a lot of fatalities, or a bloody murder scene, yuck. These guys have to be special somehow.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Exactly Tal,

In some ways there in a war zone everyday. Not pretty, not fun and have no idea how they turn the switch off when they go home.
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Feb 9, 2008, 09:16 PM
    I guess I will reply to the above post... schrodenger is a theoretical physicist and is famous for his "schrodengers cat" experiment. The experiment states that observation is key to any state of being. And basically that line is a play on the phrase "if a tree falls in the woods and now one is around, does it make a sound". But that has absolutely nothing to do with cops. (u could have just googled it lol)
    pasiria Posts: 161, Reputation: 29

Feb 9, 2008, 09:40 PM
    Cops, doctors, janitors, teachers... Good and Bad people!. My fiancé goes about doing his business while on duty... arresting the bad people and protecting the victims. Sometimes innocent people are accused, if one builds a bad reputation as a drug dealer, they'll blame it on that person, easier to justify I guess. That is not fair, but just like any human, cops make mistakes or take advantage of their position. Some don't. My relationship has been deeply affected by criminals. For instance, one day my fiancé got bitten by a criminal resisting arrest. When taken to the hospital, the individual gave a false name and said he had hepatitis. My sweety thought he had it and he was very sad, he didn't want to touch me. We cried together. In about a week the results from that criminal were in-testing negative. That was an awful week. My sweety gets kicked in the face and it hurts to see his face like that. But, he loves his job and he always does what's right, he goes by the book and of course the cops that don't hate him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does he hate me? Or is he just trying not to love me? [ 5 Answers ]

Mhkay so my ex boyfriend and I were dating for 10months, then we broke up because we were too busy && kept getting into fights. At first we were friends && stuff and we didn't really talk much because we both had the same feelings for each other but the thing is I tried to get over him with another...

Was I a substitute for his first love and does he hate me now ! [ 22 Answers ]

Please be kind enough and comment on this, I know it is long... I knew him 2 years ago. He was passing through a very hard time because of a long love story that had no hope to end happily dew to family complications from the other side. I don't deny that I liked him from the first while I...

Like it, love it, hate it? [ 6 Answers ]

Prisonbreak, my opinion is an AWESOME show! I have bought seasons 1 and 2 and I am almost done with the second season, I am just curios as to everyone else's opinions. TRUTHFULLY, I don't care if you say it's a stupid show, I'm just wondering what other people think of it.

Still love my ex after 2 years... I hate it! [ 5 Answers ]

I am a 27 year old female who is just now realizing I love my ex still. We broke up a year and a hlaf ago, but tried to do the friend thing until he found another woman. He has been with her for 6 months. He stopped talking to me when he found her. (Good thing) I thought I was over him until I...

View more questions Search