Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mario811 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 05:01 PM
    New home heating
    I am in the process of building my 1st new home it is a 2 family with an inlaw set up in base. Each floor is 2050 sq. ft I am considering hyro hv/ac have really no idea? I also ned 5 separate zones want good heat plus great a/c and lotsssss of hot water help:confused:
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 24, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Contact your local contractor. You will need advice from them. They will have to review your plans and do a manual J and a manual D for your home. At that time you can decide what equipment you are going to use. Hydro air is what I have here for over 30 years works great but expensive to install especially for all the separate A/C evaporators and outside condensing units. More zones more units unless you use a bypass damper setup with a dump zone and that is not energy efficient.

Get two or more bids.
    Sorry but all the work and calculations/ideas need to be done on your end with the person that is going to do the calculations.
    therinnaiguy Posts: 153, Reputation: 5

Jan 25, 2008, 07:55 AM
    Not sure what area of the world you dwell in but consider in-floor radiant heat and a separate cooling system. You can zone the rooms easier with water heat than air. Conditioning can be zoned by using a ductless system or the new Carrier Infinity fan coil. Do you need to condition every room in the house or just the main area and bedroom(s)? Conditioning a laundry room is so energy wasting.
    Eric D Posts: 98, Reputation: 4

Jan 25, 2008, 06:14 PM
    To get some ideas on cutting edge stuff have a look at Our Cool House This is one sweet system.

Eric D
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2008, 07:41 AM
    The cost for hydronic heat plus A/C will be expensive. Of course zoning the system is also a big expense and each zone will need to be properly sized, this is often not done right, and bypass dampers are inefficient. Have you considered geo thermal. With the newer two stage equipment you can oversize the system for heat and when the A/C is running in first stage it will still do a good job dehumidifying. With good duct design you can do a good job keeping uniform heat through out the home without zones, that is if floorplan is not to extravagant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating system for log home [ 5 Answers ]

We are in the process of building a log home. 1. Size of the home is 1796 sq ft. second floor is 534 sq ft. catheral ceiling, home will be on full basement. 2. planning to use propeane for heat. And will have central air. 3. What would to the best size propane heat unit and central air...

Home heating problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Ideal Mexico Super 440FF conventional boiler fitted running 10 radiators over three floors. The house has a energy effficiency rating of D. Two rooms out of nine do not get warm- the radiators remain cool unless the temperature is turned up to 20 plus and then it is too hot in the other...

Home cooling and heating systems [ 1 Answers ]

Infinity against evolution with is a better cooling and heating system

Home gas heating cycling on and off [ 1 Answers ]

My qestion is about my home heating furnace. My home was built in 1991 The furnace is Gas and has the name Day & Night on the outside (not sure what brand that is) I woke this morning to a very cold house. I listened for the heater and found it was coming on for about 30 seconds and then off...

View more questions Search