Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebony07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 04:26 PM
    Claiming dependents in Georgia
    What are the rules according to Georgia laws about claiming more that 1 dependent on your taxes? Is it true that there can only be no more than 2 dependents?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2008, 06:15 PM
    If you can legally claim the dependents, you can claim as many as you have.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 25, 2008, 01:42 AM
    If you claim three dependents, your exemption increases by $3,400 (for 2007), your Earned Income Credit does not increase, your Child Tax Credit for Qualifying children will increase by $1,000.

So if you don't have any taxable income after claiming two dependents, the third dependent won't make a difference.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 25, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Georgia follows the criteria specified for claiming dependents on the federal return.

In other words, there is NO LIMIT on the number of dependents that can be claimed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-resident Georgia taxes, working within Georgia [ 3 Answers ]

I have been working in Georgia, for a Georgia based company, for the past 22 years while living in Florida. I have had Georgia tax taken out of my salary all this time. I have filed Georgia Income Tax and filled out the schedule for "Non-residents" every year. It indicates that I must pay the tax...

Claiming Dependents on Taxes [ 3 Answers ]

If I share joint custody of my daughter but I am her custodial parent, my ex husband payes $110.00 in child support weekly which also includes back support, 38% of childcare cost and 38% of any uncovered medical expenses then I am left with the balance. He has visitation rights on Wednesday's,...

Dependents [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering how much money you get back per child on taxes this year.

Claiming Non-resident spouse & child as dependents [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My wife came to US (H4 visa) for the first time in 2006 & was in the US for 3 months. She left for India and we had a baby last month. She will be back In the US along with the child only in Feb 2007. 1) Can I file as "married filing jointly" and apply for ITIN for my wife when I...

Battle w/ex over dependents [ 2 Answers ]

By mid June 2005 I satisfied IRS requirements for claiming my two children as dependents. They lived in my home more than half the year, and I provided more than half their support (NCP not paying support). In June 2005 I was handed a divorce decree stating my ex and I each are to claim one...

View more questions Search