Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wlg80528 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 03:02 PM
    Fireplace thermostat misbehaving
    I have a Heatilator gas fireplace wired to a thermostat. It used to work just fine. Now, if I turn up the 'stat, nothing happens. If I short out across the 'stat contacts, the fireplace comes on and stays on until the 'stat is satisfied. This process repeats itself next time the 'stat calls for heat.

I tried replacing the 'stat - same results. I tried a new (temporary) wire between the fireplace and 'stat (about 6'), same results.

Any ideas? Heatilator hotline was no help.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 24, 2008, 06:15 PM
    You need a simple old style thermostat to start with. The will not work well on the newer battery digital ones.

If you short across the thermostat contacts at the thermostat and the unit runs it means there is too much resistance in the thermostat you are using and the voltage will not pass through.
    therinnaiguy Posts: 153, Reputation: 5

Jan 25, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Try a "Millivolt" thermostat. You will be limited to a wire distance of 25' from thermostat to fireplace using 18ga. Wire.
    wlg80528 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Thanks! The millivolt stat works just fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect thermostat to gas fireplace [ 13 Answers ]

I recently bought a new home that has a Napoleon GD 33NR Gas fireplace in it. This is controlled by a regular light switch (on/off -two wires, black and white). I am trying to connect a Honeywell RTH5100B Digital thermostat (millivolt capable) to it instead of the switch so that while we are in...

Gas Fireplace thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

In my family room I have a Heatilator gas fireplace that came with a three wired remote switch which allows one to turn off and on manually as well as turn the system on/off depending on temperature setting. The problem with this system is that the fireplace will turn on/off at any time the...

Thermostat controlled gas fireplace [ 6 Answers ]

Yesterday, a gas wall furnace was removed and is being replaced with a gas fireplace. Is it possible to hook up the thermostat that was used for the furnace to this fireplace? The only writing on the unit is "Insta-Flame CFM.

Fireplace thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Availability of programmable thermostat for gas fireplace

Gas fireplace thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

The thermostat on my gas fireplace works OK, but is not very sensitive. Any recommendations for a thermostat that's more sensitive and doesn't take so long to come on again once it turns off?

View more questions Search