Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    madcapmonty Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Muffled hearing after sinus/grommet surgery
    HELP HELP HELP!! I'm at my wits end. I had sinus surgery June last year, which went OK but it left both ears feeling blocked. After a period of watchful waiting my consultant inserted grommets into both ears. Unfortunately one of ears still hasn't cleared, that was over 3 months ago and I now have a terrible muffled sensation which is driving me crazy. I have been referred for hearing tests but just feel like I'm being fobbed off with tests and ear/nosedrops. Has anyone else had this? I am at a loss as to what I can put into my ear safely due to grommets. I have also tried acupressure and Sound Therapy. I really am at the end of my tether and dread waking up because it just won't go. Any help much appreciated.
    supriya _82 Posts: 241, Reputation: 24

Jan 28, 2008, 08:15 PM
    First - what was the purpose of the Sinus surgery? What symptoms did you have prior to the operation and whether you had on and off blockage of the ear prior to surgery? I ask this because the sinus condition has a an effect on the eustachian tube which connects your nose and ear. At present you seem to be having some problem with the functioning of the eustachian tube. Hence the grommets.

Jan 29, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Hi, thanks for your reply. The reason for surgery was ongoing sinusitis which I suffered with regularly over the years. Last April I had a severe about that just wouldn't clear, I had loads of antibiotics prescribed but nothing worked. I was referred to consultant who did CT Scan and I had a Septoplasty and FESS procedures to relieve symptoms. This worked but left the ears feeling permanently blocked. Note I have never ever had trouble of any kind with my ears until now. My consultant did a period of 'watchful waiting' before resorting to grommets. But this has obviously had a negative effect. I hope this is enough info for you to get some sort of picture. Many thanks.

Jan 29, 2008, 07:35 PM
    I do have an idea as to what is wrong but cannot figure out what triggerred it. You have eustacian tube dysfunction, plainly put - fluid in the ears, behind the drums. Thus the muffled hearing. The grommets are a means to drain the fluid from the ears. As I mentioned in the previous post that the eustacian tube connects your ear to the back of your nasal passage. That being blocked causes this problem. Sometimes nasal and sinus problems themselves cause the tube block. FESS is usually a part of treatment for blocked ears and not the other way round.
    I am sure your consultant must have performed an hearing test. If it is fluid in the ears I am afraid nasal drops and grommets are the way to go.

Jan 30, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Thanks for your time, I have had 3 courses of nasal drops and also antibiotics and ear drops and 2 hearing tests. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what he comes up with next! Thanks again

Jan 31, 2008, 12:03 AM
    You are welcome
    mpotrumpet1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2011, 03:09 AM
    madcapmonty... if you get this message, please let me now how things worked out for you. I am a classical trumpet player and I am living the same hell that you lived through... I cannot find a solution and am struggling to hold onto my career. Did you ever find a solution? I had grommets put in my ears last about a week ago and my hearing and tinnitus is the worst ever now. I am end the end of the line. Please let me know how things worked out! Many thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clogged Feeling In Left Ear/Hearing Muffled [ 45 Answers ]

Hello, For the past several months I have experienced a clogged feeling in my left ear. As a result, hearing out of the affected ear is muffled. Also, when I am walking and I put pressure on my left foot, I hear a slight, muffled "pop" or "thht" sound in the ear. Sometimes when I am standing...

Muffled hearing [ 4 Answers ]

Hello and thank you in advance to any help, 2 weeks ago I woke up with muffled hearing. I took some Sudafed and cleaned my ears with Similsan ear cleaning drops. The problem got better but then came back. I saw a doctor. She checked my ears. No wax and my inner ear color was good so likely...

Sinus [ 1 Answers ]

DEAR SIR, From past one year I have terrible headache and also body pain ,sore throat , breathing problem, bad breath coming from nose and mouth. When I start to speak to my friend they avoiding me because of my bad breath from mouth and nose. Palese help me from this . ...

Muffled hearing [ 3 Answers ]

Yesterday, on 05/03/07, around 2:30p.m. I was shooting guns with a friend of mine when at some point I removed my ear muffs to do something, and my friend not knowing I did so fired off one right after another 3 or 4 rounds about a foot away from my right side. But just before he started to shoot I...

View more questions Search