Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChiTownzFinesTUU Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 12:09 PM
    EPA Regulations on the no longer makings of R-22 in 2010
    Due to epa regulations beginning jan 1 2010 equiopment with R-22 will no longe be manufactured. Equipment with R- 22 will be sold until supplies are exhausted. This regulation will create a need for retrofit applications. A condenser with R-22 must be replaced and you can no longer buy R-22 equipment. Do you just add an R-410 Condenser to the old R-22 system? Can this be done? What does the manufacturer say regarding this? Is warrant still valid in this situation? Can I just flush a line set? Some manufactureres have been selling evaporator coils that are R-410 rated but they are running on R-22 Systems. If the coil is OK and rated for 410 can you simply just change out the condenser since the coil is 410 rated? What about issues with oil campatibility?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 24, 2008, 06:28 PM
    R22 will be available for another 25 to 30 years due to recovery only the equipment will not be made after 2010. You must replace the evaporator when changing from R22 to R410.

Simple reasons
    The R22 coil is not designed to work on the higher R 410 pressures.
    r410 does not use the same oil as r22.
    r410 and moisture does not get alone at all.This will create many problems with open line sets and the old lines will be about impossible to flush.
    R410 can require a expansion valve which will not be on the old coil.
    R410 coils require a much larger fin surface area to generate the same amount of cooling as r22.(if you hook up a 2 ton R22 coil to r410 you will probably only see about 16,000 to 18,000 BUT instead of the required 24,000 BTU.)
    r410 coils are much larger that r22 coils. You will need to modify the install to replace the old r22 coil with the new r410.
    Warranty will not be valid according to the leading manufactures. What that means is that when you pick the equipment up you will need to buy the coil and the outside unit for the warranty to take effect.

If the coil is already r410 rated and being used on a r22 system then you can just change the outside unit. Be prepared to show proof of the interior coil being acceptable for r410 if any warranty parts are needed for the new outside unit.

Line set sizes also change from r22 to r410. Not all units but some units will require a larger suction line.
    All of this is going to stop the back door HVAC guys in there tracks since all of this will be followed by computer.

It will put a lot of hacks/dumb HVAC guys out of business but it will be good for the trade.
    therinnaiguy Posts: 153, Reputation: 5

Jan 25, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Do a Google on "Montreal Protocol".
    TomHeilman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2009, 07:36 AM

I am having the same issue. I purchased a Gooman indoor unit 5 years ago and a brand new indoor until 2 1/2 years ago. I have to put in an expansion valve in the indoor unit and a new coil. My AC person is telling me I now need to completely replace both the indoor and outdoor until. Unbelievable!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 6, 2009, 08:41 AM
    Something is wrong with this picture. You purchased a unit 5 years ago for the indoors then you say you purchased another indoor unit 2 and 1/2 years ago. Why so many indoor units?? There are still some outside R-22 units available if that is your problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Box on incline. If you push it up, will it take longer to go up or longer down [ 5 Answers ]

If a box is given a shove so it slides up an incline then slides back down to its starting point, will it take longer on the way up or on the way down? I think it's down.

Electric dryer taking longer and longer to dry clothes [ 3 Answers ]

I have an electric dryer that is taking longer and longer times to dry the clothes about 2-1/2 hours to do a standard load. The time seems to be increasing - Is this dangerous? It is probably running my electric bill up? The dryer came with the house I bought a year ago. I would guess the appliance...

NEC Regulations [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I want to install a flush mounted fixture in my tub room. Can you tell me the NEC regulations to perform this kind of installation? Thank You Hugg

View more questions Search