Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jstwondering77 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 07:44 AM
    Slander , Libel and defamation of Character
    How hard is it to prove that someone has defamed your character and is it something worth pursuing? They used the word allegedly in the newspaper, but the story was completely fabricated and untrue. Is it worth pursuing since people believed the story was true.

Thank you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 24, 2008, 08:04 AM
    Proving may not be so hard. Making it worthwhile may be. You have to prove you were materially damaged by the article. I would suggest contacting an attorney. Most will give you a free consultation and they can tell you whether they think its worthwhile to pursue.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2008, 08:50 AM
    [QUOTE=jstwondering77]How hard is it to prove that someone has defamed your character and is it something worth pursuing? They used the word allegedly in the newspaper, but the story was completely fabricated and untrue. Is it worth pursuing since people believed the story was true.

The word "alleged" 99% of the time protects whoever printed the info -

As far as people believing the story was true - well, back to the word "alleged" and how much has their belief this is true harmed you?

Now, if the article was printed by someone out to hurt you, someone who knew none of the info was true, either fabricated it or published it just to get you, well, that's a different story. Hard to prove but a different story. If there is one single shred of truth you have no case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slander and Defamation of Character [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if I can sue my husbands x-wife for stating on paper through her attorney that I have called her daughter a lesbian. Also, for stating that I have tried to cause her child harm by sending elicit pictures of her daughter to the school she attends. All these are wrongful and...

Sol for libel-defamation [ 5 Answers ]

Hello everyone. What is the statue of limitations for suing for libel and defamation of character? Thanks.

Slander & libel what can I do? [ 2 Answers ]

I own a restaurant that's been doing well the first 2 years, however I may have rubbed another preexisting restaurant that cater to the same specialties the wrong way. There are rumors that I'm using artificial creamers or dairies to thicken my broths. They are also saying that the only way our...

Defamation of character [ 6 Answers ]

If someone that works at the front desk of my apartment building calls me a "bad tenant" while on the phone with someone that called to leave a message for me, is that considered defamation of character?

View more questions Search