Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ozier Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2006, 11:38 AM
    Fists
    I've had this problem for a very long time now,whenever I do an extremely strong punch I feel pain in my knuckles.it's natural when punching a wall and it's nothing I can't take but I was wondering,is there any way to harden them?
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jan 12, 2006, 10:14 AM
    Get a bucket of sand and stand over it and punch into it
    This will olso improve your speed and strength
    vex Posts: 14, Reputation: 2
    -

Feb 1, 2006, 01:29 PM
    Ozier,

Demonspeed's suggestion would be shared by many I have no doubt. I have read studies that (no oun intended) demonise's training to harden and calcify area's of th body. I am undecided in the merrits or lack thereof in such training methods.
    I am wondering though, is the pain you experience during breaking of boards? Tiles? etc. Or do you mean you experience this pain by simply throwing a punch into a bag, or even midair?
    I have heard many a new age instructor say "if it hurts, somethings wrong". I have no doubt we have all heard a traditional instructor at some point say "no pain no gain"
    I am of the mentality that a low to moderate level of pain in many training methods is natural, and only when pain levels are high should one have cause for concern.
    Im sure the most politically correct answer would be to suggest you seek the advice of a doctor, I myself would do this. I doubt you need make haste attending a medical clinic, simply mention the situation when next at your local G.P
    Im wondering what your master has suggested. Honestly, its difficult to comment acurately when I am unsure of the situation that brings you pain.
    I have been teaching for many years, and would suggest this if asked by one of my students...
    " If the pain you are feeling is during a break, and subsides soon after the break,i believe this is normal. If the pain persists,i suspect your technique might need reassesment. If you experience pain when training with a heavy bag, i would suggest using bag mits (available at almost all boxing, and or martial arts suppliers). The last case is most curious, if you experience this pain when punching into mid air, this is most parculiar. If this is the case, i would have to ask more details regarding the type of pain, and where exactly you are feeling it. For example, if you are feeling it in the elbow, you might be snapping the punch out too hard, and putting stress on the elbow. I think this is called 'hyper extension' though please dont quote me on that."

Other then this, I cannot answer intelligently without more information. If the pain persists I would speak first hand to a a/your master, and or a doctor.

I hope this has helped in some way,

Vex
    Helpoo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 04:08 PM
    Hit the a cement wall hard and keep doing it. Even though it will hurt you in time the fist will get stronger because the bones are weakening so the body will transfer even more nutrients and vitamins to the psecific bone in your body. The more oyu get hit the stronger you become.

No pain no game.
    Gav91 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 07:04 PM

Ok from the point of view of myself- a High ranked Kyokushin black belt, Junior Great british coach and Demonstation organisor I can happily tell you that punching solid concrete is highly amusing and could be the reason for pain in the first place!

It is best to start of punching softer targets such as a punch bag until you feel happy, gradually moving on to harder surfaces, such as sand however not in a bucket as you will be hitting with ALL the knuckles instead of the first 2 which is what the fist (seiken) is all about! Arguably you can hit concrete walls but not straight away!

Doing this will build Calcium around your bones which will, to an extent, protect your bones from excessive damage. When Developing any technique for sstriking with, I get my students to stike against a padded Makiwari board, if they haven't got one (most likely) try striking against a telephone directory such as the yellow pages, but be quick with your punch as, if the book absorbs the punch too much, the book could bend round your fist, increasing the chance of injury!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search