Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    home owner Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2008, 04:34 PM
    Consumer complaints about a mail order item
    I purchased an item on line.When I got it, without opening the product itself it was clear to me that it was too complicated for me to even try to figure it out so I returned it. The company refused my package and sent it back to me as refused, claiming they do not accept unauthorized returns. Every attempt by me to clear this up with them has resulted in no cooperation at their end so I guess I am just out my $20.00. Can anyone direct me to a general on line site that I might do a posting about my experience with this company so others will be wanred? Thank you.
    Dana2007 Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Jan 23, 2008, 04:47 PM
    Did you pay for it with your credit card? If so, you can dispute the charges by calling your credit card company.

Google: consumer complaints and you might find some websites where you can complain.

Jan 23, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Thank you. I did put it into dispute with the credit card, and they also are jacking me around, even when I clearly told them that I returned the items to the company in question, and they refused my return. I will try the customer complaint area of Google to see what that might get me.

Jan 23, 2008, 05:51 PM
    The credit card companies sometimes want a letter or something showing that you asked for your money and they refused it.

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and use that documentation to file your dispute with the credit card company.

Jan 23, 2008, 05:56 PM
    I hadn't thought about the BBB. Will trythat angle. Thank you.

Jan 23, 2008, 06:05 PM
    Also, Google the name of the company to find out if anyone else has had similar problems with that company
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2008, 06:40 PM
    The reason they didn't accept your return is because you didn't call them first! Companies sometimes have the policies of having the consumer call them first and then giving the return a "special return" number. Did you do this? Have you gotten the item back yet? If so, call the company and start all over again. An unsolicited return of an item sometimes results in a huge hassle for the company and they like to know when "returns" are expected.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 26, 2008, 06:47 PM
    For future reference you should check a company's return policy before you send something back.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 26, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Yes a company does not have to accept returns, and most that do require you to call first and get a return authorization number before you return anything.

Also others allow for exchanges only or credit on another item and so on.

In general there are few places to place complaints, the BBB is one but then not accepting back an item that works, because you changed your mind, may not actually be a complaint ( OK you can complain) but a company has a right to refuse certain itmes. ** a reason to buy things from local stores you know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Occupational complaints [ 3 Answers ]

What kind of occupational complaints do service workers have? Would unionization may be able to help resolve some of those complaints? Is there any reason why "new collar" worker would not want the same benefits and clout that "blue collar" workers were able to get by unionizing? What might be...

Occupational Complaints [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing some research on occupational complaints that service workers have and I am having trouble finding that out can someone give me some help?

Mail Order and/or Internet Marketing [ 12 Answers ]

I'm retired, presently living only with my wife who is also retired. I was a Quality Control Technician when I was downsized out of a job. I have a lot of experience in various types. I have had a life-long interest in Mail Order Marketing and now Internet Marketing, but very little experience...

View more questions Search