Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmac274 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2008, 04:06 PM
    just wondering
    I have a question about my landlord.. Im living in the state of Florida.. My family and I are moving out in march.. does a landlord have the right to show the house to random people while my family and I are still living there.. Its just an inconvienience for me and my family.. plus I wouldn't want to come look at a house that's already occupied.. I would want to wait till its vacant... thats just me and my opinion.. thank you for helping...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 23, 2008, 04:28 PM
    Yes, they may show the house while you are still living there, they would have to give you advance notice as to when they will come. It does not have to fit your schedule, they merely have to tell you in advance when they will be there. If they wait till it is empty, they will lose rental income unless you are willing to pay for a month or two after you move out till it is rented.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Dmac, unless your lease says otherwise, yes, the landlord has a right to show the house while you are still living there. It is perfectly legal for the landlord to do this and it is standard procedure when a tenant is planning on moving. He is trying to ensure that he will have a tenant lined up for the house as soon as you move out. I know it is very inconvenient and uncomfortable for you, but he is legally entitled to do this. I am assuming he is holding your deposit? If you don't allow him to show the apartment and line up a new tenant until after you leave, in all likelihood he won't be able to rent it for a month. It takes time to show the place and find a tenant, and most people move at the end of a month/beginning of a month. So, if you don't let him do this, you can be guaranteed that he will hold your deposit to cover his rent loss.
    littlebear91 Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Jan 23, 2008, 04:32 PM
    I think it would be more approperiate if the landlord ask you for your permission, because in Canada, the law states that Landlord may not enter renters's room without his/her permission or without emergency situation. Although if you didn't pay the rent, that's another story. Though my advice would be that to negotiate a time with your landlord to discuss when your room is available to show. However, Florida law maybe a different story.
    The following was taken from Florida Landlord Tenant Law
    "a. The landlord may enter the dwelling unit at any time without the tenant's consent to protect or preserve the premises. 83.53(2)

b. In case of emergency 83.53(2)(b)

c. When tenant unreasonably withholds consent to inspect, supply services, exhibit the unit 83.53 (2)©

2. Upon reasonable notice: repair. Reasonable notice = 12 hours. Reasonable time = 7:30 am – 8:00 pm 83.53(
    "

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Just Wondering [ 6 Answers ]

It seems to me while reading the questions and answers here that most of the responses are the same. If you ask me life is messy and can effect our relationships in many different ways. So my questions is, what's with all the ONE ANSWER FITS ALL responses?

Just wondering. [ 2 Answers ]

I have an agency called Allsup, Inc. assisting with my disability case for about 1 1/2 years - I received a call from their post award department, but I had a hard time catching up with them later in the day - has anyone dealt with them before? I don't want to get overly excited for...

Just wondering [ 22 Answers ]

Ok... I had intercourse on April 5th, and 6th... then again on April 9th,10th,11th,12th,13th,and14th... Again on the 22nd, again on the 27th,28th,and29th... My last period was March 26th 2007, and I haven't had a period since.All the tests I take even at the doctors office are coming up negative......

Wondering why? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a boyfriend and he usually hangs out with a bunch of people that like to cheat should I be worried I meen he hasn't that I know of but I'm just so confused and I love him to death and I would die with out him but when he's around his ex. Girlfreinds and I'm not there I get worried ...

I am wondering why. [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday I was suppose to start my period and today I got it... kinda? Normally I don't get it on the first day which is fine but now mu mentral blood is like not blood it is a very very dark brown and sticky and it has not the best smell. Gross but true and I don't really understand why it would...

View more questions Search