Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 23, 2008, 03:38 PM
    Fellow condo owner not paying condo or any fees
    Hi all.. Hey, have a situation here with 3 condominiums, 2 pay all bills on time the other is about 5 months behind on all bills. This is rough as he has finally fallen behind enough to have tapped out the reserves and next month we (the other 2 condo owners) will finally have to start dipping into our pockets if we want continue to pay our bills on time.

We have informed his mortgage company and they have assured us that they will pay the bill if he does not within 10 days... Here is my question:

This guy seems headed for foreclosure or some other option.. what can we as co-owners do so that this guy does not end up sticking us with all kinds of bills before he is through? I mean, even if his mortgage company pays us... next time he will go 5 months again and then go bankrupt and well.. awful as this is... we figure we lose in the end (He has moved a tenant into the unit and basically disappeared... although seems to drop by to get his rent check... no forwarding address, of course).

Any thoughts on what we should be doing to protect ourselves? We are in Massachusetts.

Thank you in advance for any time spent on this... AND remember... I am a plumber... (*LAUGH*)... will be glad to help back if I ever can. Thank you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 23, 2008, 03:42 PM
    No, in fact you need to expect to be stuck with more payments. Esp in a very small condo set up. Or of course see what costs can be cut from the condo fees,
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 07:34 PM
    Mass dear, I am afraid you're going to all be stuck with this mess if he has already disappeared. That's the bad part about small condos. Keep after the existing mortgage company if you can as that is where the money is right now.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2008, 07:46 PM
    If I follow this, you are the owner of a condo unit in a small 3 unit building. One of the three owners is behind in his mortgage and HOA fees. Which is putting pressure on you and the other owner. Is that correct?

What does the HOA bylaws say about this. What recourse does it give you?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 24, 2008, 05:16 AM
    Thanks for the... sympathy... All! And Scottgem, you are correct... And I will check the HOA bylaws tonight and see what is up from there. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condo leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, about a year ago my bathroom had to be torn down because of a leak from above. I am about to finish remodelling but I can see a leak coming through between the drywall I have in the ceiling. Before I finish patching it up and painting I want to have this fixed. I went upstairs and it...

Condo renovations [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I own a condo and the unit is on the top floor. We want to turn the attic into a loft, but our CC&R's state we only have rights to the trap door that leads to the heater in our attic, and nothing else. Is there anything legal that we can use to gain rights to the attic? Its not a...

Need to Paint my new Condo [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We just purchased our first house. It's a two bedroom condo. I haven't painted even a wall before in my life. I asked for different quotes for professional painter, but everything seems to be pretty expensive and out of our budget. I have a 3-month old baby(I am breastfeeding) and 5 days to...

Help! 1st time home (condo) owner with seeping toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I checked the other postings and could not find one specifically on this issue and the questions about wax rings. I live on the bottom floor of a 3 story condo, for only about 6 months. When the main drain of the building gets clogged by the neighbors (like with papertowels or grease most...

View more questions Search