Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teq7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2008, 02:12 PM
    GPO for Enabling Sound cards
    Can you enable soundcards in a group policy? If not is there a way it can be done remotely without logging on to each computer locally? Thanks
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jan 24, 2008, 12:06 PM
    There are so many possibilities here that my first inclination is to say no. First of all, the sound cards have to be enable within the BIOS. Second, the drivers have to be installed on the machine. In order to accomplish both, you have to touch the machine or have computers that are compliant with remote management such as OpenManage. Many of the business class machines are fully compliant but the home model machines are not. With OpenManage software, you can remotely update BIOS and drivers on PC's.

Secondly, to introduce Group Policy into mix is limited. You can disable sound cards using Group Policy by setting Deny Permissions on the basic drivers on the PC's. We accomplish a similar scenario by disabling the use of USB removable storage devices by denying the use of the USBSTOR.SYS, USBSTOR.PNF and USBSTOR.INF files.

Group Policy is meant to control software via Machine and User based policies. You can install software with Group Policy if the installation is condusive to a standard Windows instalation with MSI files. You may have to use an MSI Editor such as ORCA to customize the behavior of the installation.

If the Sound Card software saves its settings to the registry, then you record the various settings and create a custom Group Policy Template file (*.ADM) to control the settings of the software. Creating these templates from scratch is difficult if you do not know the correct syntax. I would suggest a Template editor to help with this. Look for the current template files installed with Active Directory. Open these with a text editor to see how they are created. Some good ones to look for are the SYSTEM.ADM and INETRES.ADM files. These are built for controlling the PC and Internet Explorer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No sound while watching television.sound when playing video games [ 4 Answers ]

I have no Idea what the problem could be, but if I try to watch television, which is cable, I cannot hear the sound on the television, but If I play video games, then you can hear the sound perfectly... So, it cannot be a problem with the speakers inside the television.. Could it be the cable? What...

Enabling administrator in Vista Home Premium [ 3 Answers ]

I bought my daughter an IPOD Nano for XMas. It is requiring me to install version 7.5. When I go to install, I receive a message that the signature cannot be verified. When I contact their technical support, I am told to uninstall itunes. However, to uninstall I am told that I do not have...

No sound, asus mother board built in sound card [ 16 Answers ]

My comp plays no sounds. All drivers are installed and I have re installed them 2. Its well annoyin. Any help with this would be great. Thanks

Detect sound and disply cards [ 1 Answers ]

How to detec sound and disply cards in DOS?

Enabling cookies [ 1 Answers ]

How do I enable cookies for internet explorer 5

View more questions Search