Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChristopherJohnson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Reclamation for Deceased Person's Checking Acct.
    Here's my story: My father passed away August 30, 2007. He had no life insurance, no assets except for a checking account. Of his five children, I was the only one that showed up to claim his body from the hospital. I had to deal with the burial arrangements alone. He was living with a woman that I did not know and did not trust. Since there was no insurance to take care of his final expenses, I confiscated his debit card and withdrew a little over $900 from his checking account. I also did this so this woman would not take it. All seemed well. My Dad was buried with no ceremony and only me standing at the grave site.
    Yesterday (January 22), I received a letter from the bank stating that the US Government had issued a reclamation order for the money that was withdrawn. This, as they stated, was an automatic deposit made to his account. I assume this was social security. They have demanded that I send them a check for this amount or they will turn it over to a collection agency and report me to "ChexSystems, Inc."
    I was not aware that this money was deposited after his death by the SSA. As is his legacy, I do not have this amount of funds readily available. What are my choices? Do I have to pay? If I don't, what are the reprocusions, if any? Please... HELP!

Chris
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 23, 2008, 02:38 PM
    Just answer them saying that his estate has not been to probate yet, and that you are not over that account.? Is it a joing account with the women he was living with? If so give them her name and address and ask they contact her about it.

** also if this was a joint account with both names, once your dad died all the money in that account was her money, and you basically stole the money by using your fathers atm card. ** I would be a lot more worried about that, than the social security check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where do you file something if the company name is also a person's name? [ 4 Answers ]

If the name of a company is John K. Smith, Inc. do you file it under J because the name of the company starts with J or file it under S for the last name?

How to be a lienholder on a person's house [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I loaned family members money to help them buy land and put a down payment on their house. This loan was made 2 years ago and they have just in the last few months started paying us small monthly payments. At the rate they are paying us back, it will take 70+ years to get our money...

Checking acct garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

I live in the state of Mo. I have a garnishment/hold on my checking account. I am trying to figure out if they can take my child support that is directly deposited into my account. Would anyone know how true that is?

How do I get another person's name off my lease since he moved out? [ 1 Answers ]

I am renting a house with a years lease signed by me and my boyfriend at the time.He moved out and keeps ond breaking in and taking my and my kids things.The police will not do anything about it because he is still on the lease.Also at the time we singed the lease the landlords did not sign it so...

Savings Gone-checking Acct Is Zero! [ 10 Answers ]

I need help and can't find a single thing about disclosure and banks and credit union. Our credit union offered all of its customers a $500 safety net to cover NSF checks-this started last Oct. Since then, starting in Nov. we began receiving notices for insufficient funds, which the credit union...

View more questions Search