Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elkrott Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2004, 05:41 AM
    Ceiling fan and lights go off and on
    I have 2 20 AMP circuits to my bathroom running off same circuit breaker. One circuit powers a ground fault receptacle and vanity lights.
    Other circuit powers ceiling fan, ceiling fan light, a ground fault receptacle and shower light. This circuit goes on and off but GF or breaker do not kick off. Sometimes this circuit goes off completely. If I press test button on GF receptacle it pops off but I can not reset it. Only way I can reset it is to power off at breaker then power back on then reset GF. The vanity circuit has no problem. I have rerplaced GF on failing circuit also replace breaker.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Apr 10, 2005, 07:08 AM
    Sounds like...
    Quote Originally Posted by elkrott
    I have 2 20 AMP circuits to my bathroom running off same circuit breaker. One circuit powers a ground fault receptacle and vanity lights.
    Other circuit powers ceiling fan, ceiling fan light, a ground fault receptacle and shower light. This circuit goes on and off but GF or breaker do not kick off. Sometimes this circut goes off completly. If I press test button on GF receptacle it pops off but I can not reset it. Only way I can reset it is to power off at breaker then power back on then reset GF. The vanity circuit has no problem. I have rerplaced GF on failing circuit also replace breaker.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    ... a ground fault. Is the GFCI being used to protect the other circuits (fan, fan light, shower light) or are they separate? Try disconnecting the loads at the load (all 3 wires) one at a time to narrow down the problem. May be a neutral issue. May also be excessive moisture somewhere in the wiring. Is this circuit feeding some other branches that you may not be aware of?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan lights & fan not operating [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, appreciate any help. It just stop working can't honestly say what stop working first or if it happened at the same time. The switch at the wall is working. So I'm assuming it is getting power? I took the bulbs out and disconneted the lower unit by glance everything appears to be fine. I...

Lights do not work on the ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

The fan will come on when using the fan switch, but when I use the light switch the lights will not come on. Is this a wiring problem or a switch problem? I would like to fix it myself if possible. The ceiling fan was put in with lights attached below in 1995 and the lights quit working about 2...

Ceiling fan w/lights & remote control [ 1 Answers ]

I am building a sun room that will have a ceiling fan with lights. I want to turn the lights on and off from 3 different locations (4-way switching). I also want to control the lights from a remote control. Does anyone offer a remote that will control the fan speeds, light dimming and also...

2 Ceiling Lights stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Both my upstairs landing light and bedroom light have both stopped working. What ever has caused them to stop also appears to have blown the bulbs. I have changed the bulbs and checked the fuse board (not sure if that's the correct name for it) but all the switches were still on. I turned them off...

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

View more questions Search