Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carmenm Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2006, 05:33 AM
    Hot water from cold water tap
    We recently had a plumber in to raise the temperature in our shower. He fiddled about, turning various supply pipes on and off and then deemed he couldn't do anything as he didn't have the part. Although he is supposed to have put the system back the way it was, we now have hot water coming out of our cold water taps in the bathroom - although once a certain amount has run, it goes cold again. Any ideas?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 11, 2006, 07:14 AM
    Hi Carmen,

Call your plumber back, he left you with a cross connection and nail your plumber down a explanation of what part he didn't have and why he didn't come back and install it. If the plumber gives you any static I would complain to the Better Business Bureau. Please keep us informed. Tom

Jan 11, 2006, 07:54 AM
    Hi Speedball1, thanks for the reply. I should clarify, I'm in the UK where the service is useless (hence he didn't have the part :( ). But we also have hot water coming out of the hot tap - would that still be a cross connection ?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 11, 2006, 11:21 AM
    Hey Carmen,

We have just added a UK plumber to our list of experts named Martin. I hope he sees this and answers. If he's busy I'll get back to you. Cheers, Tom
    Martin Harrison Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jan 11, 2006, 02:42 PM
    Uk plm ber
    Hi guys,

Right!!

Yeah,

O.K.

Carmenm

Let me start by asking you a few questions

1. What is the make of shower valve and model if known.

2. Have you a gravity or pumped shower.

3. Have you a combination boiler or conventional system.

4. What area in UK are u

M .

Jan 12, 2006, 03:01 AM
    Hi Martin,
    To answer your questions:
    1. the make of shower is Bristan and the model is Osbourne
    2. gravity
    3. conventional system
    4. I'm in London W1
    I appreciate your help on this !
    Martin Harrison Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jan 12, 2006, 11:41 AM
    Shower
    Hi,

Sounds like the plumber hasn't re-calibrated your valve.

To re-set / calibrate-

1. Turn on the shower.

2. Take off the temperature handle.

3. Turn spindle as far as it will go clockwise.

4. Leave running for 5 minutes.

5. Turn the spindle back slowly anti clockwise until you find the desired
    Temperature until.

6. Refit handle and turn off.

Try this and let me know.

M

Jan 16, 2006, 06:14 AM
    Thanks Martin, I'll give that a try. But that is unlikely to solve the new problem that hot water is coming out of the hot and cold taps, right ? There is now hot water going up from the hot water tank into the cold water tank (we checked the pipes going up into the roof space). Is there a possibility of an air lock that could be causing that ? Regards.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water coming from cold water tap [ 15 Answers ]

Hot water is coming from 2 cold water taps and one upstairs toilet, turns to cold after 15-20 seconds, it comes out very hot. Thought it might be Bleeding through faucets, so changed laundry tub and kitchen faucett. Still does it. The cold pipes seem to get hot from near the water tank. The dip...

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Hot water venting into cold water tank [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I posted my query here a while back but unfortunately it appears to have been left to fester :confused: (query was hot water from cold water tap). After a couple more visits by a plumber, his view is that the hot water tank is overheating, venting hot water into the cold water tank at the...

No Cold Water in AZ! [ 1 Answers ]

I need help from anyone who will listen... we are builing a new house in Arizona (the hot part). It is a single story house and the builder has used Aqua-Pex plumbing. By chance we found out with this Aqua-Pex plumbing we will not have cold water in the summer... at all! This is because they run...

No Cold Water [ 3 Answers ]

My cold water once it comes in to the building splits in to three, one to the central heating, one to the tank in the attic and the last to the kitchen. I have water going to the heating and to the attic but none to the kitchen. I have tried all the ways I know for clearing an airlock without...

View more questions Search