Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    haze01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2004, 10:27 AM
    Hampton Bay Fan Motor Noise
    ?? Our Hampton Bay ceiling fan/light combo (mdl AC-552 "MM""YL") makes noice only when the fan is on (loud humming - motor probably.) The noise diminishes greatly when the light is then turned on. The unit is on a wall rheostat power switch to dim the light and control the speed in addition to the 3 step speed of the unit. Please, how to fix? Is the rheostat incompatible with this unit?
    truss Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2004, 03:35 PM
    Hampton Bay Fan Motor Noise
    If the speed control is a full range, these are inherently noisy. Change the speed control to a "click" 3 of 4 speed control. The pull chain switch should always remain on high. This should solve you noise problem.
    iand Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by haze01
    ??? Our Hampton Bay ceiling fan/light combo (mdl AC-552 "MM""YL") makes noice only when the fan is on (loud humming - motor probably.) The noise diminishes greatly when the light is then turned on. The unit is on a wall rheostat power switch to dim the light and control the speed in addition to the 3 step speed of the unit. Please, how to fix? Is the rheostat incompatible with this unit?
    Hi

I have same problem and also noise is reduced when the light is on. Did you ever solve that?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 10:02 PM
    Ok. You are NOT supposed to use infinitely variable speed controls with ceiling fans. Replace the wall control with an ordinary on-off switch.

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Motor Noise [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased 2 Hampton Bay Indoor/Outdoor fans w/ light kit and had them installed with a standard switch in February 2006. One of them is making a loud noise and only gets louder w/ each setting. I've checked to make sure all the screws and connections are tight, but it is still making an...

Fan Motor [ 9 Answers ]

Anyone know where I can find a fan motor for wood stove It is a Englands motor #7021-4784 Type U21 1/60th hp?

AC Fan Motor [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference in the wiring for a 3 speed motor and a 4 speed motor? I'm having trouble with the reconnection of the new motor.

New hampton bay motor not working, lights work [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I just installed a new hampton bay carriage house II 52" ceiling fan with light assembly (no remote; pull strings for lights and fan, and two position fan switch). I used the wiring from a previously existing ceiling light. I tested the wiring by running them to a grounded plug assembly,...

Ceiling Fan Motor Noise [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed 4 ceiling fans (2 Hampton Bay and 2 Hunter) and experienced the same thing. A humming sound from the motors on all of them. I used 12G wiring and spliced into 12G existing wiring in the attic. The mfrs don't understand why - one has asked if I have enough power going to them. ...

View more questions Search