Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 23, 2008, 08:39 AM
    New 5 gallon freshwater aquarium
    Hi all... hey, I just purchased a 5 gallon aquarium (hex shape, biowheel filtration) and I actually... believe it or not... also purchased freshwater that I could "just add the fish" into after water came to temperature (my kid wanted fish that day... hard to dissapoint little guy so this seemed like a good fix).

Anyway, washed the gravel many times, put in water, and when aquarium was at 72F ( about 10 hrs later) I added 5 guppies.

All was great for 1.5 days (crystal clear water) then water got slightly cloudy and 1 fish died. Then I woke up this morning... water more cloudy and another fish dead.

The freshwater that I purchased was in good containers, has real good reputation.. so I am asumming it has to be something I am doing.. Any suggestions/advice? Thanks in advance!!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Whenever I have fish I use natural pebbles without the dye because I had the same problem.
    Also you need to have all the filter stuff. I even had to get one of the air bubble makers
    You might want to get some snails to keep the glass clean too.
    petguy Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2008, 11:07 AM
    There is a thing called new tank syndrom... basically it takes time for the tank to get into a cycle.. the cloudy water could have been that you had a nitrate spike and thus all the fish died... this is very common but for buying water and just adding fish nope!! You need the tank to filter itself for a minimum of 3 to 5 days. It's a good thing that you washed the rocks... but to fix it do a water change do a good 50% water change... add new water get the water tested and when its good... get some little fishies... have fun!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

High nitrite levels in my freshwater tank [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am new to my hobby I just got a 25gal aquarium and filled it out with freshwater tropical fish and as a nub started with fish that is more tolerable to harsh conditions like Platys, Hi-fin tetras, neon tetras, glow fish I had one nub but unfortunately he died about two days ago. I also have 1...

2 40 gallon water heater vs 1 80 gallon [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a new house. I am considering installing two 40 gallon water heaters rather than one 80 gallon water heater. My thought is that I could turn one the 40 gallon heaters off as there are only two of us most of the time. Then we could turn on the other when we have guest. Is there a...

52 gallon Wellsaver water tank [ 3 Answers ]

How do I pressurize the 52 gallon Wellsaver water tank. Having trouble getting water into the tank.

Ammonia in freshwater 35 gallon tank [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I'm new at this and just got my 36 gallon aquarium may 1st this year Everything was fine until last week a fish got ick so I treated the tank... opps forgot to remove filters... so now my ammonia is high. My small test kit it says orange but I put in stresszime ( by their request) its...

View more questions Search