Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timskin38 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2006, 02:00 AM
    Cashed out my 401k
    Hi , I recently cashed out my 401k,I was 100 % vested I'm 40 yrs old, what are my taxes and pentalties of 15,700 dollars
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2006, 03:35 AM
    Approx. 20 to 30%
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2006, 04:10 AM
    The penalty itself is 10%.

After that the tax is capital gains; at the rate applicable for your income level.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2006, 10:29 AM
    Timskin38:

The percentages given by Mr. Yet may not be accurate. It depends on whether the 401K cashout is your only source of income, your filing status and whether you have dependents.

Rickj's statement that the penalty is 10% IS accurate, and that 10% penalty cannot be mitigated! In other words, if you had a spouse and the $15,700 was your only taxable income, you would owe no income taxes because the combined total of your standard deduction ($10,000) and your personal exemptions ($3,200 each for $6,400) would exceed the $15,700. However, you would still owe the 10% ($1,570). You cannot apply exemption/deductions against the 10% penalty.

Finally, the cashout is taxed as ordinary income, not as a capital gains!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K cashed out - 10% Penalty? [ 6 Answers ]

Well we had no choice but to take out our 401K We had rolled it over when my husband switched jobs. We thought we couldn't touch it because we didn't fit the criteria but the secretary at the retirement place said she found a loop hole and we could cash out the rollover amount at least just not...

Cashed in 401k for divorce expenses [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering now that tax season is in full swing, if I could get a tax break on my 401k money that I cashed out. I was told at one time divorce could be used as a hardship. I have two dependants and I made $32,000 last year. Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

I Cashed In My 401k Need Help! [ 8 Answers ]

Help I Lost My Job In 2004 So I Cashed In My 401k. I Am Single And Have One Child Still At Home.. the Company I Worked For Kept 20percent Of The Amount And Sent It In On My Federal Taxes. My Question Is Will I Have More Taxes And Pentalties When I File This Year, I Am Now Working But Not Making...

Cashed in Stock And taxes [ 11 Answers ]

I inherited some stocks from my father when he passed away. I cashed some of them in last year, and was wondering about how the amount of money I received was taxed. Is the whole gross amount taxed as income? Or is there another way that the amount is taxed?

View more questions Search