Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    haimiah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2006, 01:24 AM
    Switching fuses to breaker
    Hello, I just bought my first home with my wife. The house has an old fusebox, which both my wife and I hate the thought of having to deal with. We want to switch over to a breaker box, but I have never done this before, so I have some info and some questions...

First of all, is this something an novice can do?
    Is it as simple as taking one box down and switching wires?
    How big of a breaker box will I need? We are both kind of gadget freaks, so there will be lots of stuff in the house and the garage, including an air compressor that needs 220.

The house also has old 2 prong outlets, and I have read up on gfi outlets, I have a few questions about them also. If I want to convert the entire house to 3 prong outlets, so I need only one gfi in a room? Or do I need to put one in every outlet. How can I tell which is the lead outlet, or does it matter?
    Also the outside outlets need to be replaced, what am I looking for when buying an outlet to replace it with?

Any help would be much appreciated, we are trying to penny pinch since money is tight right now anyway, but if I need to pay an electrician to do it I will. Not worth burning my new house down.

Ps if you need pics of anything, let me know :D I can get them

Thank you
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2006, 04:24 AM
    It's a big deal.

You should get some electricians in for an estimate for the whole job. Stick with them the whole time and ask questions... You may find that you're able to do some of it yourself...

1. You probably want 150-200 amp service, but that may require a new "drop" - the wiring coming off the city supply.

2. Also, sounds like you've got old "knob and tube" wiring throughout your house. And if you do, and there have not been upgrades, then nothing is grounded.

3. These old lines are usually designed for 15amps. You may need new wiring going to some rooms that require more outlets and usage.

There are probably some other things that the electricians can/will point out along the way - specific to your house - so be sure to be super inquisitive when the electricians are there to be sure you understand the steps that are needed.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2006, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by haimiah
    hello, i just bought my first home with my wife. the house has an old fusebox, which both my wife and i hate the thought of having to deal with. we want to switch over to a breaker box, but i have never done this before, so i have some info and some questions...

first of all, is this something an novice can do?
    is it as simple as taking one box down and switching wires?
    how big of a breaker box will i need? we are both kind of gadget freaks, so there will be lots of stuff in the house and the garage, including an air compressor that needs 220.
    Except for a couple of details yes. That involves moving the incoming feed which means either hot or in cooperation with the electric company. You also must match the box, meter, and service entry. The electric company will want to work with a licensed electrican.

the house also has old 2 prong outlets, and i have read up on gfi outlets, i have a few questions about them also. if i want to convert the entire house to 3 prong outlets, so i need only one gfi in a room? or do i need to put one in every outlet. how can i tell which is the lead outlet, or does it matter?
    also the outside outlets need to be replaced, what am i looking for when buying an outlet to replace it with?
    That will depend on how your house was originally wired. It could already have 12-2 with ground. Just a matter of buying new outlets and connecting the existing ground wires. If it is wired up with BX or metal conduit, the metal boxes should be grounded. Screwing a 3 prong outlet to a metal box should ground it. In some cased not, and modern code may not approve such retrofits. Take tkrussels word on that if he answers. I try to stick to what I know.

GFCI outlets are clearly marked line and load. Connect the feed to the line terminals. Than anything connected to the load terminals is also protected. Outside outlets must be GFCI as well as kitchen, bath, garage, and basement. The outlets are the same as inside, but have weather proof covers. Using feed through is cheaper. Using more GFCI outlets makes finding problems easier.

Pulling in new grounded NM is tedious, labor intensive work, maybe even requiring knocking holes in the wall here and there. Much beter place for DIY to save money than the main box.

any help would be much appreciated, we are trying to penny pinch since money is tight right now anyway, but if i need to pay an electrician to do it i will. not worth burning my new house down.

ps if you need pics of anything, let me know :D i can get them

thank you
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Jan 11, 2006, 06:24 PM
    Changing your service over is a job to be left to a qualified Electrician. It is not a DIY job. And in reality no part of your old service will be used. Line from meter to weatherhead, meter, enterance wire, panel, earth ground, cold-water ground, ground rod will all be either added or changed out. Depending on your house's setup you may need a disconnect before the panel. While not every location has licensing, every utility will want it inspected. Some do it themselves, some allow private inspection agencies, some require both. And I assure you that unless you are qualified they are not going to like you doing it yourself.

As far as your new panel... a 200 amp 40 circuit panel will do you just fine. I myself like Murray panels for esidential use, but in reality any brand is just fine. I do encourage you to investigate and learn as much as possible about the service as it will aid you in finding an honest electrical contractor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Switching from 15AMP breaker to 20AMP [ 6 Answers ]

I am contemplating switching my 15AMP breaker into a 20AMP breaker because the lights flicker in my home office because my computer and printer eat up a lot of power. If I switch breakers, will this help my power problem? Or I am limited to the gauge of the wires in the wall? Thanks for the...

Switching from LLC to S-Corp [ 1 Answers ]

We've been an LLC for just a couple of months and have decided to become an S-Corp. We're in NY. We've got start-up costs invested and don't want to take a loss on our personal return when we dissolve the LLC - we'd rather get this money back. Can we transfer the assets and liabilities to the new...

What's better; Fuses or Breakers [ 6 Answers ]

I am looking at replacing the service box in my home. The main reason is that coming off the service box are two other switches, one for the Air Conditioning unit and one for other lights in the house. So I would like to get everything in one box. The existing service is a 100 amp Fuse box. I...

Fuses blowing [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: My clothes dryer started blowing fuses. Since it was a 1964 model, we assumed it was on it's last legs and bought a new one. The new dryer is also starting to blow fuses. The dryer is on a separate fuse box from everything else. Nothing has changed where the dryer or fuse box was...

Fuses v breakers [ 3 Answers ]

thought I'd look on the web for this and I found this site. Here goes... my building was built in 1939 and has old cloth wire in it. My neighbors have all had their fuse boxes upgraded to circuit breakers, and since I recently fried a wire inside a conduit while hanging a fixture, I thought...

View more questions Search