Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2008, 06:33 AM
    How do I get over the Flu?
    Unfortunately, in the midst of work/research/classes, I forgot to get my flu shot and on top of that, forgot to take care of myself.

I caught the flu. I am now suffering from stuffiness, sore throat, head cold, body aches, chills, and just overall weakness... to the point I can't get out of bed. I tried to take a hot shower last night, and I ended up just sitting on the bathtub floor.

I feel tons better this morning, but still nowhere near 100%... just better enough that I don't want to put myself out of misery.

Any home remedies?
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Jan 23, 2008, 06:49 AM
    Hello ISneezeFunny,

I love your username.

With all the medical advances it is strange that no one has found a cure for the common cold or flu yet. Possibly because there are so many variants and strains evolve so quickly.

I believe we can only produce a vaccine which can counteract the strains we already know about and when a new one pops up, we have to start all over again.

The unfortunate thing about flu is that basically you can only let it run its course although there are hundreds of medications which will help to alleviate the symptoms.

The only thing I ever found that came remotely close to alleviating most symptoms is a product called Night Nurse or Day Nurse.

Night Nurse, although it does not cure the flu, I always found it held it in check and helped me to get a good sound nights sleep. That in itself is a great help to recovering.

It is called Night Nurse in the UK but it may have a different name elsewhere.

If you decide to try this, although it is an over the counter medication, it is very powerful and if you have any medical conditions or are taking prescribed medications, you must check with the pharmacist before taking it.

I hope you recover from this horrible ailment soon.

Poseidon
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2008, 06:53 AM
    We don't have something called Night Nurse in the US, but I've been taking a cocktail of Nyquil and Tylenol Multi Symptom Severe Cold. As far as sleeping, I'm sleeping like a baby... for roughly 7 hours at a time. Which isn't bad.

While I'm awake, I feel like I have shingles in my joints (it's a condition, look it up)...

I know the avg flu lasts about 5 - 7 days... anyone have it run for 2 days? I need some good news as I have an exam Friday.
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Jan 23, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Hello again ISneezeFunny,

Yes I do know of the condition Shingles.

I have just had a look at the Beechams website, Beechams make the medication and their major outlets for Night & Day Nurse appear to be only UK and Hong Kong.

Of course you could email them and find out if it is sold in the US but under a different name. However by the time you do this and get a reply hopefully you will have got rid of the bug.

Flu as you say is normally a 5-7 days thing and it always seems to strike at the most inconvenient time.

As you feel a lot better today, perhaps you will be able to shake it off by Friday, at least I do hope so.

Sometimes it can go as quickly as it came.

With regard to other medications. I think it is a personal thing. Different people feel that different medications work better for them and stick with them.

I am glad this is not affecting your sleep. I know when I get a dose of the flu, that is the first thing that hits me, difficulty in sleeping.

I wish there was a magic cure for this unwelcome bug. If there was the person who discovered it would be as rich as Midas by now.

May I wish you well with your exams on Friday.

Cy
    (Poseidon)
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Do you have a fever? If so, call your physician.

Otherwise, you have what I call a really bad cold. When you have a cold, you have to replace fluids into your body... really good is hot tea, chicken soup, ginger ale, lots!. I always take some aspirin to cut down on the aches so I can rest or sit peacefully.

Hope you feel better soon!
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2008, 03:52 PM
    I do have a fever. I called a doctor (not my physician, but a friend in residency) and he said that the best that the hospital will do is just give me an IV and just allow me to rest. Not worth it. Besides, I might not survive the car ride.

I'm feeling much better today... and hopefully, tomorrow'll be even better.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 23, 2008, 04:47 PM
    Hey, Sneezy... glad to hear you are feeling better.

Now, if the fever continues for more than 48 hours you need to see your doctor. This would be a sign of a bacterial infection rather than a viral infection.

I do agree that this is a flu, not all flu's cause nausea and vomiting. I also agree with Choux's home remedies.

Tylenol PM... NyQuil, DayQuil... Have you tried TheraFlu? It works for me, but not everyone.

A very silly remedy I have used (and it works) is put Vicks Vapo Rub on the soles of your feet... put on think wooley socks (or several pairs if you don't have woolies), some sweatpants and a sweatshirt. Do this at bedtime and you will sweat it all out.
    CamguyPEI Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2011, 08:15 AM
    I was chatting with a friend the other day, and he said that his grandmother was in the hospital, recovering from a broken leg as a result of falling off the roof. I was shocked and quickly asked "She's 86 years old! What in the name of heaven was she doing up on the roof?" He said that she was "trying to get over the flu."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Flu [ 4 Answers ]

Since Monday morning I have had a really bad flu. As gradually the days go by the symptoms increase. On Tuesday I had flu and my head felt heavy. This morning my ears hurt a little tiny bit, and my throat feels bit weird, and I don't feel like eating anything. And once in an hour I get a cough. Is...

Flu and BP [ 0 Answers ]

If you have high blood pressure, and just got over the flu can that make your blood pressure go up

Flu? [ 1 Answers ]

Okay so I have been diagnosed with bronchitis and I was given an inhaler and antibiotics 2 days ago. Just this morning I started really feeling like I was going to throw up and since 12 that's all ihave been doing plus diarrhea should I stop taking the pills or is this just the flu?

Are you going to get either the seasonal flu shot or the swine flu shot? [ 63 Answers ]

Don't know how to do a "poll" so I'll just ask this Are you or anyone in your family planning on getting the seasonal flu shot this year? Are you or anyone in your family planning on getting the series of swine flu shots this year? Have you or any of your family members ever had a flu shot...

Flu? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been experiencing for the past week symptoms including low fever (100-101), headaches, fatigue. Low appetite. Falling asleep easily, malaise, chills, restlessness, depression, difficult bowel movements. It seems to finally go away one day, and then comes back again later on. I...

View more questions Search