Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 10, 2006, 10:37 PM
    I work in a Moldy building
    My question is,

If I report to my place of business, its an old religious facility, built during the civil war, that I have been getting severe symptoms from the mold, what are my options, can they fire me, for this, what type of lawyer, should I seek, what can I do, I only work there 1 day out of my 5, the other 4 is at a building that is new, but there is no one to replace me, so it's not as easy as taking me off that day, is it hard to sue for getting sick from mold.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2006, 10:59 PM
    They can't fire you for bringing up a concern.

Try to discuss this with them. Perhaps they will fix the mold, or perhaps you can just work the 5th day in the new building.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2006, 04:37 AM
    You can't be sure it's from the mold... but if it were me - I would probably not risk retaliation... so would give an anonymous letter to the Manager or to Human Resources - advising them that they need to get it cleaned up - and tested for toxicity - and a memo to employees to confirm they are addressing it... or that you will contact the appropriate local authority.

If you go the legal angle - then find that your problems are not mold related - then I'd think you might risk the retaliation.
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Jan 11, 2006, 10:46 AM
    Are you sure it is from the mold? My experience with mold cases is that the only people who are severely affected are the very young and the very old, and they suffer due to prolonged, constant exposure. Mold cases are tough, and very expensive to litigate. You need to take cultures, have them evaluated by an expert to determine which of the zillion types of mold you have, pay for a report, pay them to come to court in addition to fees from your medical experts, etc. This is compounded by the fact that most people make a recovery after being removed from the situation(reducing the main reason a lawyer will take your case... damages). For this reason, it will be very hard to find a lawyer.

You may want to explore other options such as your union(if you belong to one) or regulatory organizations.

Jan 12, 2006, 06:41 AM
    HELP
    I Informed My Boss Of My Feeling Bad And Sometimes Sick Immediately After I Work That 1 Day Per Week There In The Moldy Building, They Fired Me 2 Hours Later, I Had A Perfect Recorde There For 13 Months.

It Is An Old Civil War Era Jewish Temple, No Union, Now I May Not Have Any Other Course But Legal, I Don't Know, Thanks For Your Reply,:(
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2006, 06:48 AM
    Any company has an obligation to provide a safe working environment to their employees. Health & Safety is law and must be stuck to at all times. There is no way on earth they are allow to fire an employee for bringing up a health & safety concern, it is their job to fix it. They cannot fire you without a valid reason?

Can you tell me what reason they gave you?

I would pursue this - legal action is the right way to go. You have a strong case. I would talk to a solicitor for their advice. Don't let them get away with this.

Don't forget you have right. Human rights, idividual rights & employee rights.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2006, 07:06 AM
    Fired you
    Hi,
    Another suggestion is that if you have a County Health Department, or State, call them. Talk with them about this.
    I do know there has been much said on the National Network TV news about mold in hospitals, workplaces, etc, that is a health hazard to some.
    Some are even allergic to it. If this was the reason you were fired, you definitely have a good case for legal action.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2006, 07:14 AM
    Most definitely. Fight this all the way. I have ebery faith you will win and perhaps receive some course of compensation.
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Jan 12, 2006, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy225
    I Informed My Boss Of My Feeling Bad And Sometimes Sick Immediately After I Work That 1 Day Per Week There In The Moldy Building, They Fired Me 2 Hours Later, I Had A Perfect Recorde There For 13 Months.

It Is An Old Civil War Era Jewish Temple, No Union, Now I May Not Have Any Other Course But Legal, I Don't Know, Thanks For Your Reply,:(
    What state are you in. Do you work for the building owner, or for a contractor working in the building?

Jan 12, 2006, 09:18 AM
    Answer
    I am in Ohio,

The reason for the firing was that I discussed my illness and or problem with a congregant of the religious temple where I work.

I have several sysmptoms from the mold, things that have only occurred since working in that particular temple, and only things, like headaches and such that occur after working there, so along with my other symptoms, I feel bad a lot at work, and people see me, and 1 person asked me what is wrong, I told them that I was sick and being treated for mold and that working in that building was the only place I know of where I encounter mold.

So they fired me, when this congregant or as I call them a Temple member enquired into the mold, it is a known fact they have the mold, you smell it and see it as soon as you enter through the basement and kitchen into it, it is just that no one ever discusses it, except for the smell.

So they fired me officially for talking to that member.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2006, 09:26 AM
    Osha
    You have the right to report your company to OSHA, your complaint will be kept in private. Also you could report it to your employor, but of course they may not fire you for reporting that, but they could find you listed something on your application incorrectly and fire you for that.

Or that you did... or...

I worked for GA TECH some years ago. We got a new supervisor. Guess what the first three people she got rid of, was two people who had a law suit against the school and me who was a witness of the event.

Of course it was not for the law suit we got fired, they "found" other reasons, but add it up and everyone knows the real reason.

Jan 12, 2006, 12:40 PM
    Read more above
    Thanks for your reply also, I do plan to report them, but they already did fire me, within a very short time after complaining.

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dryer slow drying, terrible moldy smell [ 2 Answers ]

I've got an 8 year old whirlpool electric dryer that's been cantankerous for a while. It's taking a few dryer cycles to dry clothes, and it smells awful. Very bad. Like mold. I disassembled the whole thing last night and didn't find anything off - no lint blockages, the heating elements very...

Air smells a bit moldy [ 1 Answers ]

I noticed that the air coming out of the vents smelled kind of moldy, like how an old car's air comes out. I can tell because the air in the house smells a bit moldy as well. I got 5 houseplants because I read that they improve air quality, and that have quite a bit. But the moldy air still...

Abb Building? [ 2 Answers ]

I am feed up with my flabby belly! Its not that bad (12 stone 4) but I just hate the look of it, so I have decided to work on my abbs I now it could take months on ends but I'm prepared anyone got any tips for the diet, and exercise side? Low carbs yes but is that just bad carbs or allso good...

Musty/moldy smell [ 1 Answers ]

We have noticed a strong musty/moldy smell coming from the bathroom vanity, inside of heating baseboard (there are holes where the pipes go into the wall), inside the electrical box panel and any small openings on the baseboard too. We own a slab ranch home (no basement). There are no visible...

Building PC [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Looking to build my own PC - Did 1st build with a very smart friend. Now ready to go on my own. Any websites out there that can help? Thanks Stu

View more questions Search