Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 10, 2006, 10:23 PM
    Best Email Progams
    What is everyone's opinion on a good solid email program, I'm talking a power user, or big business, just a normal home PC user.

I prefer Pocomail 4 as it has what I consider the best Spam filter and customizable interface and speed.

If you want a lot of smileys, backgrounds to use and well just fix up your emails, then Incredimail is good with a nice clean interface, but it's a huge program and power hog.

Thunderbird I think is a nice small simple one if your needs are simple.

What does anyone else think :)
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2006, 10:25 PM
    Yahoo! Mail

http://mail.yahoo.com

I have NEVER received spam with Yahoo!

Jan 10, 2006, 10:31 PM
    Yahoo
    I have tried Yahoo,

But in my case, I like just a little more in my email than what it offers, Yahoo is only slightly more than my own internet Providers online web based email.

If that's all you need, is just something simple to receive and send email, Yahoo is fine, but I like a little more, not a lot, but more, than web based mail, like Yahoo, and Gmail and others similar to them can offer.

I guess it all depends on your needs, and tastes.:o
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2006, 11:00 PM
    I agree, it all depends on ones needs and tastes.

Curious, you say you want "more" from your email program. What do you mean by "more"?

Jan 10, 2006, 11:15 PM
    Hard to explain
    It's difficult to explain, but I don't like the feel of web based Email, they are slightly more difficult to maneuver in, that a separate program, and at times, some are harder to read, and to get to your settings, preferences, and such items are harder, to do, and also making new folders and doing small things, can be more difficult.

And the interfaces are just to me not as user friendly overall, I like more control, to contorl, the Color, the Fonts, size and such, the size, the abilitly to see more of my emails, more of my folders< I ve made and such, your limited with such things in web based mail, you generally take what they give you, with just a few options.

Nice discussing this with you, have a goodnight, I am off to bed
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 11, 2006, 05:37 AM
    I love Eudora Light. It's not web-based, it's free, very customizable and easy to use. The Light version has a very small ad in the corner that's easy to ignore. The paid version has no ads. I don't work for them, I'm just a very satisfied user. http://www.eudora.com
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2006, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy225
    Thunderbird I think is a nice small simple one if your needs are simple.
    I go with Thunderbird but I wouldn't call it simple. It has all the features I could ever think of and if it doesn't, well then you can just download an extension for it from the official site.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 11, 2006, 07:27 AM
    I use Outlook.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2006, 08:20 AM
    I also use Outlook Express, and Gmail. Gmail is from Google, and it's only web-based email that I've liked so far, and I've tried several. It's only available by invitation right now, but if you would like me to send you an invitation, let me know.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2006, 09:09 AM
    I quite like Gmail as well. It's got some useful features but at the same time some annoying limitations. For example. You click on "Compose Mail" but there's no option to select contacts from your contact list. Instead you have to remember to go via contacts, select who you want, then hit compose. That annoys me a little.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2006, 09:20 AM
    Yes I agree that's annoying! There are a couple of other annoying qualities of it too that escape me at the moment. But overall I like it better than the others I've tried (MSN, Yahoo... ), plus I like the fact that there are no pop-ups or banner ads. I hate those things!!
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 11, 2006, 04:40 PM
    Outlook
    For simple email that you can use with your service providers email address, I always use Outlook... Its simple and you can store your contacts and see your folders and so on.:D

I have used MSN and Yahoo the only webmail that seems OK was Lycos mail, I have to agree with other posters Yahoo seemed to be the best at not getting spammed for webmail. MSN I used to go away for the weekend come back and there where like 300 emails all junk pmpl

Jan 12, 2006, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nwsflash
    For simple email that you can use with your service providers email address, I always use Outlook... Its simple and you can store your contacts and see your folders and so on.:D

I have used MSN and Yahoo the only webmail that seems ok was Lycos mail, I have to agree with other posters Yahoo seemed to be the best at not getting spammed for webmail. MSN I used to go away for the weekend come back and there where like 300 emails all junk pmpl
    What e-mail address you use and what e-mail client you use are too different things. The address is just a way to route the e-mail to your online mailbox. The e-mail client is used to retrieve the mail from that mailbox, to organize mail and to send mail.

For basic e-mail ANY e-mail client is simple. They all are pretty much the same. You click on New or Compose to send a mail. You click on the message in a folder to read it. You click Reply to reply and Forward to send to someone else.

I like Outlook 2003 because of its built in spam blocking, its extensive rules, its integration of contact list and calendar.

One also needs to realize that Outlook and Outlook Express are different programs.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 12, 2006, 09:20 AM
    Yyyyaaaaahhhho:cool:
    qwertyman Posts: 109, Reputation: 15

Jan 14, 2006, 03:05 PM
    I also like/use Gmail. I use it with Outlook and my ISP's email.
    (Gotta love the freebies from Google)

Jan 14, 2006, 10:23 PM
    2 Categories
    Actually this could be divided into 2 categories, web based email and stand alone programs.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2006, 10:38 PM
    I am still using Netscape 4.8. I love its powerful, friendly spell check. I wrote this just like all my AMHD posts in it. Much better than the Macrocrap like one in the newer versions. Of course, whatever your are used to always seems the easiest. Someday I may get around to looking at Thunderbird. I think it is available for Linux. One problem with NS is that it also includes an old browser I seldom use.

I can't undersigned why anybody uses the viruses' favorite, Outlook. I never do any virus scans or any of that nonsense, and never had a problem either on this Linux box, or the old Mac.

Jan 15, 2006, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I can't undersigned why anybody uses the viruses' favorite, Outlook.
    This is not trying to convice anyone to use Outlook, but I have never gotten a virus on any of my home systems, and I've been using Outlook as my e-mail client since Office 97. I use the Preview pane as well.

I like Outlook because of the extensive integration with Office and with my PDA.

I use E-Trust A/V which does real time scanning for viruses in e-mail (it has blocked viruses a couple of times). I also keep Outlook up-to-date with security patches.

I don't dispute that Outlook is a favorite target of virus writers. But its not a vulnerable as its rep.
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Jan 15, 2006, 09:42 AM
    I like MSOutlook, use it on every computer. When I get a new computer I use Outlook Express until I can get MSOutlook installed. I believe there are some web based email programs, (Yahoo being one) that will not download to Outlook. Of course I may just be used to MSOutlook, been using it for years at work.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 15, 2006, 10:18 AM
    For receiving mail, I use Yahoo and organize in folders. I pay for the premium though and have 2 GB space.
    To create mail to send as attachments, I use MS Office, MS Publisher, and even Adobe Acrobat Professional to create unique mail with nice graphics for special occasions, and use my collection of special borders and frames of which some I create myself with PaintShopPro9 - just like to play with 'pretty' things.

I also like to include smileys and animated gifs, not to mention the zillion different fonts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't email [ 2 Answers ]

I have an email address from Yahoo. I can receive emails but once I go to send one, when I'm on the page were it asks there email address and subject, but there is no box where I can write my email. It has the subject and their address but below that it has no box to write. But I asked my...

Sent Email [ 7 Answers ]

Is there a way that I can get notification that an email has been read? Thanks

The best email like The Bat! [ 4 Answers ]

Anybody help me find an email client as good as The Bat! I am using The Bat! Email client for years. I love its features, but now a days many of my email reciepient blocks my email because of possible spam from The Bat email client. I still fond of using it. So to cover all of my email...

Email 'Signatures' [ 3 Answers ]

Using Outlook Express 6 with Windows 2000. I want to create an Email signature in one font but to have my main default font message as a different one without having to change either each time I send a new email. I know broadly how that SHOULD be done, but no matter what I try, the...

Lost email [ 2 Answers ]

:' I recently upgraded my internet explorer to 6.0 from 4.0. My outlook express was upgraded too (I could tell because the configuration had changed) My address book appears to remain unchanged but all my earlier emails in my inbox have gone. They are all somewhere in my computer but I don't know...

View more questions Search